popping from monitors

bruuen

i'm using event tr-6 monitors and if they're on an idle, i'll hear a suttle pop noise, its pretty annoying and i hope its not damaging the speakers...any suggestions? (i'm using windows xp if that makes a difference)

Get close to the hard drive on your computer and the monitors at the same time and see if the pops coincide with the hard drive working. You may have to launch a program to hear it. I've heard this when using my built in soundcard instead of my Delta1010.

I doubt it's damaging the speakers.

You may need to get better cable to connect your monitors to your soundcard, but you didn't mention any other gear, or how you're hooked up, so I hesitate to make any suggestions on how to fix this.

Does it go away when the computer is shut down?

Do you mena they pop once, or is it something that keeps occuring over and over? I'm assuming you don't mean the sound speakers make when they turn off and go into idle. If they are in idle mode you should not be able to hear anything out of them, because they are off at that time.

i think maestro might be on to something with it coinciding with the hardware. its not continous when it begins, its just a suttle pop that is heard with 20-90sec intervals most of the time. its hooked to an echo mia midi soundcard. i thought the wires i baught were good though. i'd feel a bit discouraged if that was the problem.

notbradsohner said:
is there a cell phone near your gear?

Good call, but I've never heard a cell phone make a popping noise. It's more of an electrical interference noise, for lack of better description. I've also only heard it through my keyboard amp, not my studio speakers. I can always tell when someone else in the orchestra hasn't turned their cell phone off!

Back