Pop

michaelwookey

I was asked to write and record a pop song by a girl in England so she can sing over it. Those of you who know me will know that normally I use real instruments, but this song was all made inside a computer. I'm curious to know if it sounds convincing as a piece of pop, as really I'm not used to maing this kind of music.

Michael.

How convincing it is as a pop song is really gonna depend on the vocal. But, as far as song structure and instrumentation go, it seems like a good start. I might bring down the volume in the verses on those main synth hits. They get a little repetitive because they're covering up all the other stuff you've built behind them. By the end of the song I'm still mostly hearing only what I was hearing at the beginning. If that makes no sense, then disregard it as incomprehensible vocalizations of a near coma patient.

Hey man,

Song sounds really cool to me. The only thing that was distracting for me was the triangle (?) or whatever it was in the verse that was panned hard L/R. It could be that I'm listening through cans at the moment but it was a little disorienting. The chorus parts came together great. Make sure to post the tune once its finished!!

Cheers

+1 on the triangle. Bump it down an octave? Cut some super hi's? Lose it altogether?

Your call.

Nice work overall. Love the drums especially.

A little TV commercial sounding, I think its that lead synth, just a little too corny. I'd love to hear you replace that track with a piano and post, just for my own amusement. If you have the time.

Hope I helped.

Adam

thanks

Thanks for your feedback. it's not a triangle, it's a ring modulator on the whole drum track, acting with a synched up delay so it takes the beat and complicates it and effects the sound. I was wondering about that also - the sound is a bit high and that's definately from the ring mod - i can lower the effect in the mix and change it so it's not so high and annoying.

And about the corny synth - I totally agree, but the girl asked for this kind of thing. Actually I quite like the sound. it reminds me of Erasure.

MW

Back