Pop-Song HELP appreciated!!

Julia87

Hey guys,

I'm currently mixing a track by a German band and since I don't have good speakers it is quite hard to mix an entire song with my speakers. Especially the low end is very difficult to mix. Apart from that, I don't know if the mix is good so far or not since I'm pretty new in the field of mixing in general. Therefore, I was wondering if you guys could help me identify some problems in the mix (and maybe some issues I can't really hear on my speakers).

A big thanks in advance to everyone who might comment and help on this one. I really appreciate it!!!
https://soundcloud.com/abbeyroad87/tornado-1st-verse-chorus/s-VPliF

Julia

I like the tune, dudes got a good voice and the song is good MOR Pop rock..
I'm not a mix wiz at all but if I was mixing it I'd spread the drums out a bit more L & R instead of leaving them pretty much dead center. I'd put a little more verb on the lead vocal..

That all said I am NOT well versed in mixing, probably more of a newb than you...it's free advice and ya get what ya pay for on this one.. Good tune though..

it's very commercial sounding. It sounds well produced and everything fits in the mix so well done, the only critisism I could give is the snare could have a little more snap in the mix and be more 'forward' more like a rock mix, I'd probably use something like spl transient designer to give it more punch and attack. I understand it's pop music, but I'd also prefer to hear louder guitars, it wouldn't do it any harm in the chorus. They are only minor criticisms though and mostly subjective so bear that in mind.

I agree that the drums could use some subtle panning. Vocals may be too up front, but only a little. The lower end is tight and boomy in the right ways.

I would not add reverb. The vocals sound perfect.

I agree that something on the right side is need or bring the guitar back to the middle. It sounds so dead there, thought my stereo was screwed up.

You have a good pop band in the making there.

Sounds pretty good considering what your working with. I'd say everything is in the area you want. Don't over think it. Good Job!

Thanks a lot so far! I'm gonna try to work on the panning, that's a good idea! And yes, I also had the feeling that the snare is not perfect, yet. I'll check it with the transient designer (or try to add another snare by Slate or other stuff). If there's anything else, let me know! You know, it's not that easy to establish oneself in that business as a woman, therefore, I want it to be perfect to proof that women can also work in that field! :D

I agree with the others, the vocals are a little too loud/forward and the drums need some attitude especially the snare. I think some additional considerations need to be made in the bass/low mids. The low area of the mix sounds a little light to me which makes this song feel dated. Modern pop and pop rock has much more weight and power. Madi Diaz - Gimme A Kiss - YouTube has more low end for example and it's still super pop.

Hey very polished, but a few suggestions to my ears:
Btw, this really all applies to the verse, i think the chorus i pretty great.

*Snare is dull
*Kick needs a bit more low end thump
*Vocals in the verse and also chorus are a bit too in-your-face, i think they need to be set back a touch, maybe a little delay/verb and maybe need a slight mid-high boost.. they sound like theyve maybe just come out of a heavy de-ess or a ribbon mic or something.. Not much, just a bit.
*There also seems to me to be something just a touch dull about everything in the verse.. maybe a little too much mud around the 400Hz region.. or you need to add a touch of clarity to the guitars..

anyway thats just my novice ears.. feel free to tear me apart you more experience folks..
great job tho, sounds like the J-Pop I heard a lot in Japan.

Vocals sound pretty good. Well sung. Maybe missing some of the higher end, but not real bad. Some vocal artifacts - little clicks on some consonant sounds.

I thought the crunchy guitar was missing some bite. It was a bit muffled.

I think the song could use a stronger bass. The low end is a little lacking. Might be as simple as turning the bass up.

Drums sound OK, but they get swallowed up during the chorus. Is there a string patch in the chorus? It's tough to hear.

Back