Pop Rock Daughtry style song.

Pretty good! I would've boosted the vocals in the verse a little bit -- his deep voice kinda blends in with the bassy guitars, but overall really good!

You might want to meet this guy! I might want to meet this dude! I think his voice is as good if not better than Daughtry's! In fact, it was the best thing going on in this recording. The songwriting is topnotch imo - I love this pop/rock crap with an 80's touch. :D
Now for the bad stuff: The guitar tone is miserable!! :spank: How could you have such a great song with a quality singer and let the guitar tone crap all over it :spank:!! Sorry if I'm being harsh. It was thin, fizzy, and fake with too much reverb. Speaking of reverb, I like reverb more than most people :), but this was a little ridiculous. This dude's voice was swimming in it - let him breath man! The drums, which might actually sound pretty good, were buried in the mix, possibly from too much bad reverb.
If you wrote this song - I'm impressed! Well done. If you need some help with the guitar, I'm not the best, but I wouldn't mind trying to get a tone that this song deserves. :D

Brad

Your Right!!

You might want to meet this guy! I might want to meet this dude! I think his voice is as good if not better than Daughtry's! In fact, it was the best thing going on in this recording. The songwriting is topnotch imo - I love this pop/rock crap with an 80's touch. :D
Now for the bad stuff: The guitar tone is miserable!! :spank: How could you have such a great song with a quality singer and let the guitar tone crap all over it :spank:!! Sorry if I'm being harsh. It was thin, fizzy, and fake with too much reverb. Speaking of reverb, I like reverb more than most people :), but this was a little ridiculous. This dude's voice was swimming in it - let him breath man! The drums, which might actually sound pretty good, were buried in the mix, possibly from too much bad reverb.
If you wrote this song - I'm impressed! Well done. If you need some help with the guitar, I'm not the best, but I wouldn't mind trying to get a tone that this song deserves. :D

Brad

I know exactly what your saying, all of your critiques, I share with you. I tracked this song about a year ago when I had absolutely NO choice of gear, pretty much had to make do with what I had. A crappy outboard COSM modeling device for the gtr tone. I've got some killer stuff now. And Yes!! I am a fan of reverb!!! And it was definitely bad reverb, the Adobe Audition type, if you know what I mean. However, I did write this song along with the guy who sang. I'll be doing another song with him soon, he's a busy guy, and you may see him or "hear" his songs soon on a radio station near you. Again, now that I've got some top notch gear, I'll be retracking/mixing "Like A Wave" very soon. Thanks again for your "colorful" critiques!!
:)

Yea, keep me posted on the re-track/remix. Enjoy working with this singer, before he's got his record deal and up and out!
:D

Still a pretty bad mix for the quality of the song and singer. Drums are completely buried. I know this style uses distorted guitars but these still sound overdistorted and somewhat fizzy. I think you could do this song with an amp powerchord sound rather than this pedal type fuzz sound. It would also give some dynamics to the guitar sound.

I'm starting from scratch, all new drums, everything. I'll post mixes as things progress. Seems the only way I'm gonna make things sound better, is by retracking everything. Only the vocal tracks will be the same. Thanks again for your input.

I STILL love this song! I STILL hate that guitar sound! Really, you re-tracked them? With what? Ever heard of Honeymoon Suite? Go listen to them if you haven't lately. This song fits into that genre/style; copy the sounds you hear. Ditto PDP - you don't have the right plugins - almost any guitar + practice amp + sm57 = bingo! The drums are buried (and prolly for good reason = they don't sound great). The bass is boomy and undefined. I think you took some reverb off the singer - thumbs up for that! Good luck, let me know how it's going.
:D:cool:
Brad

Yeah, like Brad and PDP have said already, great song, not such a great mix...yet :) Unfortunately, I think your approach to start from scratch is the right one. The song is great and there is so much potential here, it will definitely be worth it. If it were me, I'd check out the band The Calling and try to emulate their mixes - the song sounds to me like it would lend itself well to that type of style. The singer sounds very much like that guy.

Brad, remind me to bust your balls later about those old Honeymoon Suite cassette tapes :D :D :D

Best Regards,

Dave DeWhitt
SoundClick artist: Dave DeWhitt - page with MP3 music downloads

Brad, remind me to bust your balls later about those old Honeymoon Suite cassette tapes :D :D :D

Best Regards,

Dave DeWhitt
SoundClick artist: Dave DeWhitt - page with MP3 music downloads

LOL! :laughings: I went to check the board this morning and was thinking 'did I really reference H.S. to somebody here in 2010?' Oops, yea, I did :o. Consider my balls broken Dave!:spank: My only defense is I don't think you heard the first mix of this song - it was so awash in reverb that you couldn't help being transported back to only the cheeziest of the 80's :eek:. I thought he wanted to recreate that sound. But, hey, I did have H.S. cassettes that I played until they warbled, even through half the 90's, then sadly, they got tossed when I discovered how to steal mp3s and found some uber-fan who ripped the cds and posted them :). Come on, you know you want to sing along..."I got a new girl now......." ;):p
:D:cool:
Brad

Back