Pop or click example...

mmonline

I posted a question that had no responses a few days ago. About clicking or popping sounds in my recordings and whether PC processor could be a culprit.

Here is an example:

Just prior to 2 seconds into the clip, you will hear it. Sometimes it is louder, other times, quieter. Sometimes I record and it does not happen at all.

I've had this happen with more than 1 microphone and both my Firewire and USB interface...

I am recording using an M-Audio Firewire and a couple MXL condenser mics. I have a Pentium III with 2 Gigs or RAM.

I read somewhere that this can be causes by the processor spiking or some other process. On Macs I heard that wireless could cause this although I am on a PC.

I've yet to stop a bunch of services and disable my wireless to test this out. The frustration is that it can be very intermittent, so I am just looking for ideas as what to look for.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm using Samplitude SE (Magix, Music Studio Pro 14) but have experienced it with Audacity as well. I've had it happen with my current firewire interface and a USB microphone.

XP Pro, Pentium III, 2 GB Ram.

I asked another sound engineer I was referred to and he suggested, for sure, to kill extra processes on my Laptop. I do software development as well and might at any given time have my SQL Server running, and other services.

I created a script that turns off all my non-essential services to prepare my machine for recording.

He also suggested a line/power conditioner, which I picked up yesterday.

He also recommended a separate harddrive the music data - separating the apps from the data. This I cannot do yet on my laptop but in the next 2 months or so I will be putting together a "recording workstation."

Another thing he suggested was a humidifier - ensure no static electricity causing any sound issues.

I'll be recording a bit today and tomorrow, so I will see how it goes.

I am also going to give Reaper a try.

Anything else?

It could very well be extra processes running, bogging it down.

Also what sample are you recording at? I have a laptop that even with a outboard sound card it CAN NOT record or play anything over 48k (without giving pops and clicks), and the desktop will record up to 192 with the same OutboardSC with no problems at all.

Also If Audacity is giveing pops and clicks then something is deff wrong (I dont want to sound mean) but Audacity uses like Nothing in CPU.

Understood. I've had things like my email running, etc. when recording - or closed down apps just before recording. Unfortunately, I have only begun documenting when things might have been happening.

However, I also wonder the impact the effect of the line conditioner. My PC, m-audio device was plugged into the same surge protector as my printer/fax, plus a couple other items.

In any case, I am greatly cleaning up my setup and will know more soon.

Thanks.

Back