pop filter

dolecek1

how many of you actually use pop filters, do they really make that big of a difference? also i have a mxl990 mic, what do you guys think of that mic?

Pop filters are essential, especially for condensors. They eliminate plosives and help keep spit off the mic.

The MXL 990 is a decent mic for the price, but nothing to write home about. I have 2.

Last edited:
Maudio is right... pop filters are a must... i remember when i first got into recording, i was using a cheap $20 pc mic... i later bought a pop filter and recording vocals and just by eliminating the plosives it made my mic sound like a $100 mic... remember though they are not designed to make your mics sound better they just eliminate the plosives... but yes... get one... or, if you dont want to spend the money you can simply make one of your own... theres an article here that will explain how:
http://radio.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2004/10/17/161712.html
theres lots of other articles available... the best way is to get pantyhose and strectch it over a coat hanger...
and yes, the mxl is ok for the price, but if i were you i would have saved a little extra and get at least a V63M... musiciansfriend.com has them for i think $80 or $90 dollars... their list price is $400..

They are key to a good intimate vocal recording. If you're off the mic by maybe a foot or so it won't matter as much.

War

Back