"Pop filter," Noise, etc..

lyricist

I googled and found this:

" A foam filter or screen that helps reduce popping noises made from a persons breath. "

Is this the correct definition or is there more to a pop filter than this?

Does everyone make a "popping" noise?

If it makes any difference, I am pretty sure I will be purchasing either the MXLV6 (Even though it's ugly), or Studio Projects B1 (I really don't know, I have nowhere to test mics so I'm iffy about what to choose)

I also read that these large condenser mics pick up A LOT of background noise; is there anything I can do to ease some of the sound?

Anyway, I am curious about that pop filter because I am about to buy a mic and am wondering if I need one of these (Buy them at the same time and save on shipping)...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah in my experiences a pop filter is definitely needed. Put your hand in front of your mouth and say some words that start with P or B and you'll feel the extra push of air coming from your mouth....as far as I know, the pop filter is specifically designed to stop the mic from picking that up, hence why it's called a "POP" filter. And it ocassionally catches random spit fragments that I dispense when rapping really fast :p .

I'm pretty sure that's the full reason for a pop filter, maybe someone could correct me...but I'd definitely get one. Hope this helped.

-Kaveh

lyricist said:

" A foam filter or screen that helps reduce popping noises made from a persons breath. "

Yes. You're talking about a foam windshield. Don't use them. A pop filter is either a nylon or metal mesh that disappates the air heading towards your mic diaphragm. They are more effective than foam windshields for this use, and have less effect on the sounds reaching the mic (foam socks often take out a bit of high frequency detail).

lyricist said:
Does everyone make a "popping" noise?
Hold the back of your hand up to your mouth. Say these three words - "hello, popper, sister". Noticed the blasts of air in the second two words, that you didn't get on "hello"? That's the popping and sibilance. It changes between singers as to how pronounced the problem is, but almost all will have it to some degree or another.

lyricist said:
If it makes any difference, I am pretty sure I will be purchasing either the MXLV6 (Even though it's ugly), or Studio Projects B1 (I really don't know, I have nowhere to test mics so I'm iffy about what to choose)
Do you mean the V67G? That would be the natural one to put up against the B1 ... the V6 is a different mic altogether.

lyricist said:
I also read that these large condenser mics pick up A LOT of background noise; is there anything I can do to ease some of the sound?
Not being funny, but here's a few thoughts
- Have less background noise. Sort your PC fans out, get better headphones, close your windows, switch your central heating and fan heaters off, tell your family/housemates/bandmates to shut up, record when there's less traffic on the road outside.
- Don't get a mic that will pick up a tonne of extra stuff. I.e. - if a condenser is too sensitive for your setting, get a good dynamic instead. If you're getting a condenser, maybe one with a slightly narrower cardioid pattern might make a difference...not much, but a bit.
- Arrange your mic and room intelligently. If your PC is making noise, face the mic away from it. Get some makeshift damping in the corner of your room, like a couple of mattresses or thick blankets, and stand with your back into the corner, so the mic's most sensitive spot is pointing to the place where there will be the least reflections coming back off the walls. A good condenser and pre will be capable of recording a flea farting at 200 yards (or thereabouts) so it's important to get this stuff right if you can.

lyricist said:
Anyway, I am curious about that pop filter because I am about to buy a mic and am wondering if I need one of these (Buy them at the same time and save on shipping)...
If you're skint, go and buy some ladies' stockings (you'll look like one of those sensitive new-age males buying gifts for your missus), get a wire coathanger and bend a length of it into a circle shape, stretch the stockings over the circle and use the rest of the wire to make an arm you can tape onto your mic stand. It's also a chance for your first musical DIY project! :)

HTH,

Nik

lyricist said:

Thanks.

All of the above comments are right on target but another purpose of a pop screen is to protect the diaphragm on the microphone from possible damage caused by the singer spitting on the mic. There is a lot of humid air coming out of the singers mouth and most often the spitting can't be controlled.

There are two types of pop screens of which one is made of a sheer nylon type fabric and the other is made from a thin metal screen with the latter being the better choice IMHO. I have a few of the nylon type pop filters laying around and if you want one just PM me and I'll send it to you. If you decide to go for one of the metal type pop screens check you can get a Stedman on ebay for $39.00 on ebay right now. The url is below. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stedman-Proscre...ryZ29950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you think that pop filter is too expensive (the one ljmaxx posted) Im sure you can go to Sam Ash or a music supply store around in your area and get one for under 20 bucks...it was a store brand I think but it gets the job done.

I also recall another use for the humble pop-filter, in the case of those mercury-sputtered mics (forgotten the name, started with W... they were green... ah well). The two-layer, stocking type filters were used, and they put ice cubes between the layers, in order to cool down the air heading towards the mic (mercury-sputtered diaphrams need to be kept cool otherwise the heat from the breath can be enough to "melt" the mercury...)

But that's a rare example. Most of the time it's uesd to do what everyone else has said- protect the capsule, limit plosives et cetera. It's also a nice target for the more amateur vocalists; tell them to keep thier nose pressed agianst it and you can cut down on the amount of compression you have to do later...

Noisedude - Yeah i meant the V67G.

I was thinking about that myself- going with a dynamic instead of a condenser.

I just think the condenser is better for my voice.
I mean, my home isnt THAT noisey but for some reason im thinking the mic is going to pick up every LITTLE sound. hmm I dont know. its impossible to get it 100% quiet

thanks for the responses guys

lyricist said:
its impossible to get it 100% quiet

Well...true and not true. It might feel like it's impossible to get 100% quiet, but you can make a room so that it's 100% quiet according to the mic that's set up in it. I'm still very much a begginner when it comes to acoustics, but you might want to research a little about it too...check out this site http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/ it's full of great tips, advice, and knowledge...everytime I read through that stuff I learn more. I'm there at least once a week! Another good site you should check out is John Sayer's site - it's a site devoted to building pro studios. He's got some dimensions and plans that I'm hoping to build soon.... http://johnlsayers.com/HR/index1.htm

But anyway, you might want to look into making yourself some absorbers and learning about where you should put them in your room. It takes some MDF and some insulation and some effort, but it'll pay off in lessoning your reflections and noise leval! A cheaper idea already mentioned would be to use blankets and mattresses, and another method would be to buy a foam room kit that's made to generally fit your room.

Jacob

Okay let me ask this

if I dropped a needle in a room the condenser mic would pick it up and the dynamic mic wouldnt?

i want a mic that does pic up my voice when it goes kind of "quiet" but still..im worried a condenser pics up TOO much

i have no experience with real mics whatsoever

I have an AT3035 condenser that I use primarily for vocals and like it quite a bit.
http://www.proaudiokit.co.uk/eShop/show_product.php?ref=459
This mic WILL pick up pin drops and add to BG noise.

It is acceptable at times to use a noise gate to stop background noises between vocal phrases. I really don't like the choppy feel that you'll get when recording soft vocals but when the vocalist is at full volume, you won't notice the gate hardly at all, if it's set up properly.

I dont know how much all of this "sound filter" stuff is going to be

i just want to do a few recordings.

Umm..

So then condenser mics are going to pick up the sound of my clock ticking away?

(maybe the music in the song will wash out the BG noise ?)

maybe it isnt a good idea. maybe i should just get the shuresm57(if i remember correctly) that everyone is raving about.

:confused:

Bah! I like the foam sock. Look at all the cool old studio pictures from the '60's and '70's. Foam socks on every damn thing. Do you see John Lennon trying to rock a mic through pantyhose? Nope.

Back