Pop - Admit it, you love it

I won't turn this thread into a bass thing,...but, ahem, since somebody brought up the subject.

This song I won't even call a guilty pleasure pop tune, I actually dig it. Has one of my favorite bass for a pop tune. Fretless, I forget who is playing the bass. For some reason I'm thinking Mark Knopfler doing the sitar type guitar. Has a nice git break ass well. I've actually pointed it out in the past to others, the bass, response is often, yeah, cool bass...I never even noticed. Anyway...

Damn I never noticed that damn bass going on there...sly, slick n wicked.

I won't turn this thread into a bass thing,...but, ahem, since somebody brought up the subject.

This song I won't even call a guilty pleasure pop tune, I actually dig it. Has one of my favorite bass for a pop tune. Fretless, I forget who is playing the bass. For some reason I'm thinking Mark Knopfler doing the sitar type guitar. Has a nice git break ass well. I've actually pointed it out in the past to others, the bass, response is often, yeah, cool bass...I never even noticed. Anyway...

Paul Young performed that song at Live Aid concert. It is one of the best songs written by Daryl Hall.

Here's Daryl Hall performing that song accompanied by GE Smith and Bonnie Raitt.

It doesn't even come c!ose to the perfection of Paul Young's performance of the song.
Daryl Hall wrote the song, but he couldn't sing it the same way Paul Young did. Paul Young enunciated the words...... Daryl has always had the habit of wailing at the end of a sung word. Too many whoohoos so to speak.

Here's what I'm talking about.
Paul Young's 1985 outstanding performance at Live Aid.
38 years ago!!!!

Here's what I'm talking about.
Paul Young's 1985 outstanding performance at Live Aid.
38 years ago!!!!

Holy crap, 38 years ago. 38. Incredible, sometimes those numbers are hard to wrap your head around and reckon with. 38 years ago I was probably yoinger than that Young dude right there.

This is the recorded and a live version from a great Philly band GLADIE. This is off their new album 2023. They have a few other excellent albums. Augusta Koch the singer/songwriter was also the leader of the band Cayetana.

This is the most pop-hit song off their new album. It's catchy.

This is the version of Certain for Miles used in the film Fighting With My Family as Florence Pugh is leaving her family for America. I had to run the credits in slo-mo to find this song. I wish this band had stayed together. They made two magnificent albums. Gladie's almost as good. But, these three had excellent chemistry.

Is there a need to turn the subject controversial? No, not really. We get it, Stairway and That Smell were "popular" songs. But I think most of us understand the meaning of this-->Pop-Admit it<-- thread. Most people in the general public know the difference between the Pop charts and Rock charts. Most of us being musicians here, we would know the difference between auditioning for a Pop group and Rock group. And if we got the gig with a Pop group we would inderstand that it wouldn't be very constructive when getting set lists together to start suggesting Stairway, or That Smell, and to commence arguing, "They're, like, all pop songs, man." It would be about as constructive as arguing the same here. Don't be dense, no need for controversy. You dig?

But what the hell, I'll bite. Are Stairway and That Smell "Pop" tunes? No, the common understanding, vernacular, industry wide accepted categorization, Stairway and That Smell are rock songs, "Classic Rock".

Are we done with controversy? I think so. Okay with you if we move on with the thread?

This one hits all the marks. I recently discovered this about three years ago. Released in 1981.

"...You said you'd stand by me in the middle of chapter 3, but you were up to your old tricks in chapters 4 5 and 6."

A bit busy on the outset("you said you'd"), but a cool line, good writing. Good pop.

Back