Poor and needing a better vocal mic!

...The human voice still has content above 15 kHz ...but the SM5x frequency response basically hits a brick wall there... As a result... they have no "air" at all ...

typically what we call "air" in recording vocals is around 10k or spec higher.

you're right though, no emphasis in the air region (10k) means the sm57 isn't an airy mic. it's a good rock vocal mic though.

by the way, I have no strong love for the sm57, I'm just touting it's amazing history and versatility - it CAN work well for almost anything if you know how to use an eq and a pop screen.

You do realize that this thread is from 2007 and the OP is now a wealthy mastering engineer who uses U87s as high fidelity drumsticks right?

Ok...maybe not. But it is still ancient history. :D

Hi all,
Just found you so if I tread on any toes............!!

Will, I bought a Sontronics STC-C2 LDC 2yrs ago. Super mic but big and not really suited to small room,home recording, works well in front of a guitar amp tho'.

I have recently bought the AKG Perception 150 from DV's. £50 each or as I did £85 for two (NOT matched pairs!).

Brilliant! Very handy size and whilst not the lowest self noise cap mic about, certainly better than most affordable mic pres struggling with a '57.

With the pad in they will handle 145dBSPL so kick and ear bleed guitar should present NO difficulties.

Dave.

For good Vocals buy any of the large Condenser Mics (1"), set the input at 100%-102%
on your Meter (VU or LEDS) and stay off the Mic about 1-2 Feet away. Use a Pop Filter
or Filter Screen and go for it. The resulting Vocals should be very crisp, clear, and pretty
loud in the Mix. You will be surprised. I use an MXL MCA SP2 for many of my Vocals and I
get excellent results good enough for any studio. You can avoid alot of Proximity Effect
on your Vocals (bass increase as you get closer to the Mic) if you will use a large Condenser
Mic on Vocals. Make sure to look at the Frequency Response graphs for each Condenser Mic
before buying one -- look for a linear response on the graph for the midrange frequencies.
The Behringer B-1 is an excellent Mic just don't psuh the volume too much or get too close or
it will tend to distort on you but this Mic has a 10db pad on it if you do. AKG mics are excellent
as are the Shure KM series. There are lots of great large Condenser mics out there to choose from.
Good Luck...

This moron keeps pasting/posting the same bad information in thread after thread. He's made 10 posts so far and 8 of them are variations of this same bs.

This moron keeps pasting/posting the same bad information in thread after thread. He's made 10 posts so far and 8 of them are variations of this same bs.

I hope you reported it. This is classic behavior that is almost always followed by a few days cooling off period and then a flood of spam posts with links to a website where you can by N*kia and iPh*one and M*t*r*la phones for hundreds of dollars less than through your phone company. :D

For all your professional audio recording needs, I recommend Tandy Corporation products - especially the Realistic 33-1080.

Yeah I second the guy about this being a year old thread. Seriously, I commend yall for trying to be helpful but do you relle think the guy is gonna check the thread a year later on buying advice for a mic he already has? this is the only thing that relle bugs me on this forum, otherwise its the best:D

Back