Polderbits RIP - Vinyl Ripping etc

Brendan Jabbers

Hi
I am an enthusisatic, but unskilled, amateur. My life's passion is music, and for the past several years I have been using a software called Polderbits (from the Netherlands) to record from external sources (vinyl, live gigs on my digital recorder) or direct from the internet ("What You Hear On The Speakers"). Record, save then edit - the editing process was simple - there was a nice clean display, you just dragged, cut, named and saved. Then export to iTunes and either make a disc or put it on my iPod.
Then my hard drive blew up. When I replaced it, and came to replace Polderbits, it seemed they had gone out of business. Delving deep into the internet, I managed to find a site with a seven day trial of it, and did as much as I could in those seven days, but now again I am bereft.
I have tried WavePad, GoldWave and others and I just canNOT get my head around them. I have watched the tutorials, I have tried, sweated, cursed, and just can't find a simple, straightforward system for recording and editing. The displays are far too busy and complex and the tutorials seem to assume a lot of knowledge.
Can anyone recommend a product that might help me, or a means of retrieving Polderbits? I am totally at a loss without it.

My hard drive blew up about a year ago. I had been using an old version Cakewalk Sonar on Win XP. I liked Sonar, but replacing/re-purchasing it was going to be expensive. I switched over to Reaper. Quite a few people here use it. I can't really say that I think Reaper is better than Sonar. But it's equal to it and it's quite a bit cheaper. I would recommend that you trial it. I think it's about $40US or so for home use. Quite a few people here use it.

I don't think you're looking for the capabilities of a full DAW (like Reaper). Roxio Creator or Nero will most likely fill your needs, wiht a simple GUI.

My hard drive blew up about a year ago. I had been using an old version Cakewalk Sonar on Win XP. I liked Sonar, but replacing/re-purchasing it was going to be expensive. I switched over to Reaper. Quite a few people here use it. I can't really say that I think Reaper is better than Sonar. But it's equal to it and it's quite a bit cheaper. I would recommend that you trial it. I think it's about $40US or so for home use. Quite a few people here use it.

Thanks triple, but I think MJB is right - something very simple is all I require. I don't need effects, remixing, cutting and pasting etc - I didn't realise Nero did it. I'll give that a try. many thanks.

Back