POD

I was seduced by all the hype of the POD and bought it without really demoing it. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. It delivers a really kick-ass direct sound. I primarily use the more modern amp settings like the EVH-like simulators or Mesa-boogie sounding amp settings and they can make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. I though that the fender and other more clean amp simluations were less inspiring.

The only beef I have about the POD is that the noise gate is not too flexible; it is either on or off...you cannot very the limiting. This can result in long, sustained notes being cut-off before you want them to be cut off.

Other than that, I get pretty good results and best of all, you don't have to worry about external noise such as amp hiss, or general ambiant noise.

Bill

Is anyone NOT satisfied with it? Is it really that good? Glad to hear both sides, please.

Thanks a lot for your honest reply, and useful information regarding POD. Maybe I should buy one after all.

Alu

Hey Alu, do yourself a favor. Buy one. I just did and I am pretty amazed. Now, I'm not a thrasher guitarist so I can't complain about the noise gate. I actually think it is better than alot of others. I also think that the soft overdriven tube amp models are awesome. Wish I could play more jazz--they are really warm. As William stated above, the heavy distortion models are outrageous. The Mesa Boogie is incredible--next to an actual Mesa would be tough to tell them apart. Only big limitation that I see, not enough effects variables. Can only get the effects from the effects dial, reverb and drive. But eventually, when I'm done playing with the amp models and the few effects on the POD, I'll take the time to learn to where best place my rack effects. With this beastie, though, I may not worry about my rack effects for awhile, this thing is pretty cool, indeed. Where else do you get 28 usuable, realistic, quality amp models for under $300? And there amp models you wouldn't be able to touch in the physical world for under $2500 in this thing called the POD.

Peace, Jim

Hey Jim,

Have you tried the MIDI editor that comes on the CDROM with the POD. It gives you access to all effect paramaters and additional amp sims. It also lets you combine the amp models with different speaker cabinets. If you liked without using this feature, wait 'til you try it with it.

Hey DMC,

I haven't tried the midi edit stuff yet. I need to buy a midi-soundcard adapter because my MPU-401 is in a Windows 3.1 computer and the editor (from the POD site) is for Windows 95. I bought my POD used, so I don't have the original software, though Line 6 has it in the mail for me soon. Does the CD edit run on windows 3.1, too? Guess I'll find out soon enough. Can't wait to edit those amp setups so I can "build" my own custom amp.

Peace, Jim

I am not an eq freak-i like to get a good sound with mic position to tape with minimal eq at mixdown. I had to tweak the pod sounds a bit cuz of their brightness. I remember not having the pod treble up much when recording so it's just them. Some great sounds though. I like making them with multiple mics and unrelated amps. i got a boogie sound with a music man tube head with solid state pre's, and a marshall mosfet amp.

Sounds really bad!

But that's a very subjective viewpoint based on trying to use the POD as a mic Pre-amp for my acoustic guitar. But when I tried this with vocals I had to concede their are some interesting possibilities.
I suppose with the the proper titer of d-lysergic acid diethylamide applied one could remain deeply interested in the output far longer than the effects of the chemical.

And BTW:
I've already recorded what I mean and posted it on my Freedrive.com cyberspace HD.

Drivename: FreedaMop3
Keycode: 262770
Size: 921 KB
Filename: POD with Mic_192.mp3

Back