Pod UX 2.. Disappointed :(

studiogenocide

Although out of the box it seems like a neat little toy, and don't get me wrong, it is just that: a toy. Played with it using a pedal steel guitar on tracks last night- it completely consumed all my CPU resource- causing very nasty crackling during the recording phase- and we were running NO effects on my multitrack (Cubase 5) program. most tracks we were working with was a simple soundtrack for a total of two tracks (1 L and 1 R channel). It worked okay for a sort lead guitar solo, but obviously using the pedal steel was too much for it to handle. For that reason alone I will never get rid of my Pod 2.0. I just thought I would share my experience if anyone was considering buying one.

Although out of the box it seems like a neat little toy, and don't get me wrong, it is just that: a toy. Played with it using a pedal steel guitar on tracks last night- it completely consumed all my CPU resource- causing very nasty crackling during the recording phase- and we were running NO effects on my multitrack (Cubase 5) program. most tracks we were working with was a simple soundtrack for a total of two tracks (1 L and 1 R channel). It worked okay for a sort lead guitar solo, but obviously using the pedal steel was too much for it to handle. For that reason alone I will never get rid of my Pod 2.0. I just thought I would share my experience if anyone was considering buying one.

The problem with the crackling can be solved by plugging the UX2 into an AC powered USB hub... the issue is with the amount of power being sent via USB from the computer to the UX2... this fixed the same problems for me at least.

The problem with the crackling can be solved by plugging the UX2 into an AC powered USB hub... the issue is with the amount of power being sent via USB from the computer to the UX2... this fixed the same problems for me at least.

I use my onboard USB card- isn't it still 5 watts per usb channel? I mean, I'll try it because I have one handy, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll let you know later on if it works.

I use my onboard USB card- isn't it still 5 watts per usb channel? I mean, I'll try it because I have one handy, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll let you know later on if it works.

Not always. While 5 volts is the default answer for power output it can vary anywhere from 4.75 to 5.25... typically you're going to get closer to 4.75 especially if you're using USB to power other peripherals. This is why many portable externals come with a Y cable... one for power and data and one for power.

Max power for high-power USB is 2.5W (500mA); that's shared on the bus though. Low-power USB is 100mA. Each USB connector on your computer isn't necessarily its own bus. USB 3.0 increases that, but I don't think it's widely implemented.

I think I've seen this before as well.

If i remember properly, one thing i did that fixed it was to set the UX2 as the default soundcard in the windows control panels/sounds applet.

You might need to mess around with input channels in Cubase to get this to work properly as well.

I've got a UX2, and i've got good use of it. CAn't compare it to more expensive gear though.. have never used any. lol.

I think I've seen this before as well.

If i remember properly, one thing i did that fixed it was to set the UX2 as the default soundcard in the windows control panels/sounds applet.

You might need to mess around with input channels in Cubase to get this to work properly as well.

I've got a UX2, and i've got good use of it. CAn't compare it to more expensive gear though.. have never used any. lol.

If I can do that and it does not interfere with my tascam DAW, I will try it. As long as I do not have to keep switching back and forth in the properties... know what I mean? I will try the USB AC powered thing first though. let you know in a couple of days if it works. i hope i hope i hope it does, because it is a neat toy after all.....

check your drivers are up to date and you are using Line 6s asio driver not asio for all...

I run a line 6 interface with an M audio interface and the PCs original card...no problems,

the crackling issue.... i may have a solution for.

But quick question. are you recording to a PC tower thing or a laptop.

For the longest time i got alot of crackling and background noise on my laptop when i had anything pluged into any audio device, my pod or my maudio shit...

then one day i disconnected the power supply and just recorded off the battery.

Problem solved.

not sure if that helps but... thought i would throw it out there for you.??

the crackling issue.... i may have a solution for.

But quick question. are you recording to a PC tower thing or a laptop.

For the longest time i got alot of crackling and background noise on my laptop when i had anything pluged into any audio device, my pod or my maudio shit...

then one day i disconnected the power supply and just recorded off the battery.

Problem solved.

not sure if that helps but... thought i would throw it out there for you.??

Actually, I did not know it could use a power supply... man am i brilliant...

check your drivers are up to date and you are using Line 6s asio driver not asio for all...

I run a line 6 interface with an M audio interface and the PCs original card...no problems,

I think plain old ASIO is selected, I will have to search for the Line 6 ASIO. Thanks for the advice.

I think plain old ASIO is selected, I will have to search for the Line 6 ASIO. Thanks for the advice.

that'll be your problem...go to line 6 and download a programme called Line 6 monkey...it will connect with your UX and tell you what drivers need updated...you should be able to run at near 0 latency with no pops or crackles regardless of what you're plugging into it...

Tried it All

Sorry guys, but I tried it all and no good. Still consumes too many resources. I suppose its a good thing I have a hi powered PC sitting next to my recording PC. I installed it there, and it works like magic now. Mystery solved (my way) !

Sorry guys, but I tried it all and no good. Still consumes too many resources. I suppose its a good thing I have a hi powered PC sitting next to my recording PC. I installed it there, and it works like magic now. Mystery solved (my way) !

Out of curiosity, what are the specs on your "recording PC"?

man thats a shame...I run one of my line 6s with pod farm on a netbook when travelling and its CPU hit and latency is well within acceptable....

I cant help thinking that its in conflict with your "recording" PCs soundcard....

man thats a shame...I run one of my line 6s with pod farm on a netbook when travelling and its CPU hit and latency is well within acceptable....

Same here... well, on my wife's HP MINI... that's why I'm curious what his specs are. Doesn't seem like it should be killing his resources like that even if it was conflicting with his onboard sound card.

I know right? I thought I had an alright enough setup anyway... so here it is- its old so dont laugh..

3 GHz P4
4 GB DDR
4 7200 RPM seagates
P4P 800e ASUS mobo

need anymore, I'll let you know- also my "sound card" is actually my DAW, a Tascam FW1084- there is no soundcard- or the one onboard is disabled anyway....

Thanks

I know right? I thought I had an alright enough setup anyway... so here it is- its old so dont laugh..

3 GHz P4
4 GB DDR
4 7200 RPM seagates
P4P 800e ASUS mobo

need anymore, I'll let you know- also my "sound card" is actually my DAW, a Tascam FW1084- there is no soundcard- or the one onboard is disabled anyway....

Thanks

Your system should have no problems running the UX2 at all. When you're using the UX2 though, this should become your default audio device in Windows. This could account for some of the issues you're running into with the UX2 and the TASCAM fighting for who is supposed to what. Maybe try taking the TASCAM out the equation to see if that helps.

Back