POD + Micing mixed. Will this cause any issues?

ALaz502

Hi,
I'm mostly playing really death metal style guitars. I'm using an SM57 to mic a BV 120 H and I have a POD going into my DAW. The guitar signal is split to go both to the POD and the Blue Voodoo. I'm planning on recording two tracks (POD/Miced AMP) simultaneously and panning them hard left. I'll repeat the process and hard pan them hard right.

Can there be any technical issues using this setup? I'm using a Delta 66 to record the analogue tracks into.

Thanks a bunch.

keep the drums mono...pan the guitars hard left and right..(i use a boss gt-6 for mine) if the guitarist is good...have him do the guitar part twice so you have a different signal going left and right. bass stays mono....keep the vocals mono unless you're trying somethingwild......i also play the hardcore sceaming/growling music

yeah, the guitarist(me) is good enough to record two tight guitar tracks. So recording the POD/Miced guitar simultaneously shouldn't cause any phase problems then?

You may get some phase issues because the direct signal is usually a little faster then the miced signal. The latency caused by the modeller may compensate for that but you won't know until you try it. If you notice any problems while tracking you can try moving the mic back and forth until it sounds best. You can also try sliding one of the tracks in your DAW to make sure they line up perfectly.

Usually phase issues are worst when you have two IDENTICAL sounds together out of phase. If the sounds are different (as they are likely to be with the POD and the mic'd amp), then it's not usually as much of an issue IME. You never really know until you try; why don't you do some test runs and find out?

Well, I gave it a test run and I love this method!!
It gives me quite a few options in tone and no phase issues whatsoever.

Your pod outputs in stereo. If you have enough tracks, try taking advantage of this wonderful feature every now and then as well!

hasbeen: With clean tracks, I wouldn't have it any other way. As a matter of fact, for clean tracks all I use is the pod in stereo mode. I especially love the stereo effects on this thing.

Now all I need is a MIDI cable to get into the deep editing and I'm set to go!

Thanks for the input guys!

hasbeen said:
Your pod outputs in stereo. If you have enough tracks, try taking advantage of this wonderful feature every now and then as well!
What does the pod do to the signal to make it stereo? I know it probably depends on the pod but is there one that is user controlable as far as setting the stereo field?

Back