Pocketstudio vs. MR-8

BluesJunkie

I posted a thread about the Pocketstudio in the Tascam forum, but nothing's happening over there.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting either the Fostex MR-8 or the Tascam Pocketstudio. Which would y'all recommend?

Yo Junkman:

If I had to choose, I'd go for the Fostex product. I've never used one, but the company seems to be keeping up to date with technology. If I were you, I'd try to hear both of the units someplace, somewhere, somehow and let your ears make a choice.

While you're doing that, also give a listen to either the Yamaha AW16, and the 2816. Also, there are deals being made on the 4416. Great sound on all three units. I use the 2816. As usual, the manual isn't very clear but you can learn the ropes.

Any of the Yamahas would also require that you buy a UPS power supply in case of power failure, which could damage the HD.

Green Hornet :D :cool: :D

Hi,

I actually heard the tascam and the fostex before I decided to eventually buy fostex.

For an indepth review of tascam, there's an emusician review about it at :
http://emusician.com/ar/emusic_tascam_pocketstudio/index.htm

Several factors like the Price, wav transfer to PC(track by track, which's important for me because I do a lot of editing in cakewalk too), more tracks (to bounce, atleast), MIDI clock sync and a surprisingly good sound quality (at such a low price !) forced me go to for the fostex (..touchwood !).

Well, you can weigh your own requirements and see if tascam is a better alternative for you.

But again, I consider buying the fostex was a very wise decision I did.

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. If I was going to use a card recorder as my main recorder, I'd choose MR-8 or Boss BR-532. If the card recorder is a travel companion, notepad, headphone amp, etc., I'd go right past the pocket studio and get a KORG PXR4 Pandora. I've been using the PXR4 for a year now, and it is absolutely the coolest toy I've ever owned. Considering what it is, it's versatility and sound quality is phenomenal. For a main recorder, I'd want bigger faders.-Richie

P.S.- Just remember to factor in the cost of CF cards. A 128mb CF card is 25 track minutes. That's just over 3 minutes of 8-track recording. On my Pandora, a 128mb smart media card gets 90 track minutes in high resolution or 180 in regular mode, 360 minutes in economy, which I would only use for lectures, etc. That smart media card costs about $50. With the Fostex, you can get 100 track minutes (50 minutes of stereo, or approx. 12 minutes of 8 tracks) on a 512mb CF card, which is about $160.-Richie

Last edited:
Back