Plugin fx you like, and why, whats special about them? How do they compare to others?

Mongoo

There are so many different Eq, compression, delay, reverb, etc. plugin's out there, and they can range at a price of anywhere from free to thousands of dollars.

For reference, What are you using now, and why did you pick out the plugin's you did over the others? What details can you provide to describe their character in sound and ease of use? At the same time describe what plugin's you were previously using, and how or what they lacked for you to find something that you considered better. Finally if there are any particular styles that you think something works well on, state that too. Additional comments or notes on specific applications of effects are welcome.

The goal of this thread is to gather more detailed and centralized user information/review on vst/rtas/etc fx plugins to be accessible for people to find within the forums.

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Thank you Glen, I missed some of the threads you listed when I was searching the forums. I was hoping we could consolidate some of all of that though, and give people a chance to talk about it more in detail with comparisons, and make mention what their using now & why vs. what they could have gone with. Some of the threads you link are 4 years old.

Plus this doesn't have to be a "best absolute" thread. A lot of folks might say Waves, API, SSL, or a UAD for that. This thread could be just users weighting in the pro's and con's of what they went with and were looking at in their relative price range. Why voxengo, kjaerhusaudio, massey, oxford etc.? At the same time, Why Waves, API, SSL, UAD if thats what you have?

I don't know all the prices, and that does factor in with what people choose and what comparisons are made. I'll read through the threads you posted. Will you give me a detailed answer to my question?

Thanks

And in a year this thread will be a year old and buried just the same way as the rest of 'em, and easily found just the same way as the rest of 'em. ;). I doubt it will get stickied because that just doesn't seem to be something Dragon does anymore.

65% of the people here are using what they can get their hands on for free (legally or illegally), 20% are using UAD hybrid plugs because they can afford to, 10% actually pick and buy midrange pay-for plugs with specific sonic preferences in mind, and 5% widely fit all three categories. :)

I'm just not sure how many times more I feel like typing in that my first string line up includes Dynamizer, Uniqualizer, Inspector and Finalizer from Roger Nichols Digital all the time because you just can't beat their combination of neutral sound, features and flexibility, the Waves Restoration Bundle and the Sony NR package for noise reduction and restoration purposes, and Voxengo Span for flexible and accurate FFT analysis and measurement.

The problem with that list - other than it's probably the third time in the past year that I have typed it out - is that it ignores a library of probably a hundred other plugs and models that I specifically select for their specific strengths and colorations in specific situationst (most of them native or freeware; if I had enough money to buy a hundred plugs I'd have my UAD board by now :D). There are several different EQs, compressors and reverbs that I use, often times on one mix, but the ones I use and when I use them are very application specific.

I'm not going to go listing the details out for a hundred different plugs, nor could I neccessarily explain them very well in words. It's like asking to list out every color in the painter's pallate and when to use it. If it calls for burnt sienna, I'll use it. If the audio calls for Blockfish compression, I'll use it. If it doesn't call for that color or that sound, I won't use it. :)

G.

Back