Plugin Delemma

Hi all,
In January, of this year, I decided to step into the world of home recording. So, I installed and registered n-Track (Version 3.1.9, Build 1417) and the EQ and Comp plugins. After some nervous sweating and head scratching, I fired up n-Track and was recording. All was good in my world. But (and that's a big but) now...
In the last week or so, everytime (actually, it's about a 50-50 shot) that I try to make an adjustment on the vocal, with the ParaEQ, n-Track crashes. So, I tracked down the plugin files to see what I could find. Guess what? I found my plugins in 2 different folders. One set of files is in C:\Program Files\FASoft. The other set is in C:\Program Files\n-Track Studio\FA-Plugins. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Somehow I don't think so. Where should these file be living? Should I delete all these files, re-install and re-register? I have already tried to unregister one set of files at a time to see which one might be redundant. But, with either one unregistered the Plugins won't work.
Also, the files in each folder aren't exactly the same. The following seem to be "case different".

In C:\Program Files\n-Track Studio\FA-Plugins;
FA4BDEQ, fa4bdeq.dll, FACOMP, FACOMP10, facomp10.dll, README (for the ParEQ) and RUN-ME

In C:\Program Files\FASoft;
FA4BDEQ, FA4BDEQ.DLL, FACOMP, FACOMP10, FACOMP10.DLL, README (for the compressor) and RUN-ME

The song that I'm working on has 12 tracks. CPU usage doesn't go over 15%. And that only seems to happen when I have several screens open and am actually moving a knob or fader. As soon as I release the control it drops back down under 10%. It's usually in the 5-8% range.
I'm running n-Track on Windows XP with WDM drivers. 2.4GHZ Pentium 4. 512MB RAM.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, suggestions, ideas, consolations or even a kick in the butt. I'm afraid to do any more damage until get some sort of conformation. Cause, after all,
what do I know?
Bill

FWIW I also have this posted at the n-Track forum.

I have had problems with certain plug in's before. I haven't updated my version of n-track in a while (i'm poor :()

but in the old versions there where only certain kinds of plugins that worked. This might be your problem. Does your problem go away if you don't apply ANY effects to your tracks? if it does go away then it's one of your effects.

It's more a matter of trail and error.

Unless someone else has had this specific problem with your specific effects and they want to post it here...it's trial and error.

It's really frustrating I know!!! but stick in there

Update

Hey sae,
If your old version of n-Track is 3x, the upgrade is free. If your old version is 1x or 2x the upgrade is $20.
The misbehaving plugin is made by FASOFT. I'm hoping that it was intended to be used in n-Track.
I've had no crashes at all until recently. Even now, it only seems to crash while I'm moving knobs or faders. I'm hoping that I screwed up while installing the plugins and that's why I have 2 separate sets of files. Then it would be a relatively easy fix. Uninstall and then reinstall.
I'm looking for conformation that that's the right thing to do. Or, for people to say "Oh no! Don't do that or you'll blow up".
I'll take your reply as a "Aw, what the heck. Give it a shot".
Thanks for the support. I can use all that I can get. Cause, after all,
what do I know?
Bill

Fixed?

Mornin sae,
I dunno. I did reassemble the puter with generous applications of crazy glue. ;)
I then went into n-Track, opened the song and started fiddlin around. Trying to make it crash so as to maybe get a better handle on what's goin on. But, it wouldn't crash for me. I was a twiddlin knobs and slidin faders, opening and closing screens, adjusting and tweaking and I don't know what all. And n-Track just kept a truckin. CPU useage would spike to about 25% but then drop back down to under 10% as soon as I released the control. So, I don't know if it healed itself (yeah, right) or if it's just building up for a big blow. So I guess that I'll just move along (with my new-found, false sense of security) until something bad happens??? After all,
what do I know?
Bill

p.s.
note to self.....save, save and then save some more!

Re: Fixed?

Bill Assumpcao said:
note to self.....save, save and then save some more!

you got it!!!

does crazy glue really work? I have always wondered. I have read some threads about it on some other forums...seems to be a pretty controversial topic :D

crazy glue

G'dafternoon sae,
The crazy glue seems to be performing admirably. I'm just hoping that these leftover parts aren't important. :D
Bill

believe it or not I once broke a chip off of a video card and I glued it back with crazy glue....and it still works !!!!! (not that I would recommend it, but hey, it's all good :D)

Conclusion: if you ever read a thread that say's it doesn't work don't believe them! (

Again

Howdy all,
My conundrom has once again reared it's ugly head. Can anyone tell me where the plugins are supposed to live?
What folder (or folders) are your Fasoft plugins in?
Thanks in advance. Cause,
what do I know?
Bill

try putting them both in the same folder

p.s. Have you tried emailing Favio directly....he usually answers within the day

You're right. I should

Howdy sae,
No, I haven't E'd Flavio yet. You're right. I should.
But, can I take the pressure? Do I even know enough to ask an intelligent question?
Aaaaggghhh! (running away)
Bill

well I understand what your saying so I guess so ;) you might want to add a link to this post as well as the post at the n-track site

Back