plugging mic directly into emu 0404?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: kinda.

If you absolutely MUST...

You can possibly go to PatchMix and do an "insert trim control" which will let you amp the signal up 30 decibels. Enough to get it up to audible level, likely.

This isn't anywhere NEAR as usable as even your cheapest little Behringer or Nady sub 50 dollar preamp, just so you know.

NOTE: I am not an 0404 user. I'm an 1820 user, and while I know for certain this works for 1820(M) and 1212M, I'm not totally certain on 0404.

a milion N O 's !
do all your connecting to sound cards while pc is off.
unless you like buying soundcards.
use a mixer.

Huh?

There's no voltage involved when it comes to plugging something into the E'mu input...unless you count the miniscule voltage being developed by the microphone itself. (That's why you need a preamp, after all..)

*pops a few ins and outs in their place on his E-mu 1820*

Guess what? No problems.

And as much as we like to talk about never ever hotswapping cables when phantom power is involved, that's just a special precaution we take when it comes to not quite in spec cable and connectors. I know the BBC has all of its radio studios wired up with permanently on phantom power, for example...

sklathill.
ok - do it your way. i'm not going to argue bout it.
ive seen sound cards blow up with folks doing hot plugging many times.
maybe the emu has protection against this sort of thing. i dont know.
but better to be safe than sorry.
but imho its poor technical practice.

When there's no voltage involved (like with a dynamic mic into a line input that doesn't even provide phantom power), I don't see what's the problem.

It's basically the same thing as plugging a dynamic microphone into a mixer, which you so advise. They both involve 0 volts.

I know I personally turn off phantom when plugging in mic (I'm a graduate student and can't afford any problems)...

What I'm wondering is where you got the hint in either of the first two posts in this thread that there was any sort of hotplugging involved? That's a totally separate issue from what he was asking about. What he's asking about, it's just like plugging a mic into a line input...does it work? Maybe barely, and if the line amp provides for it, it will be audible, but it's certainly not typical or adequate compared to a very cheap standard mic preamp solution.

i'm afraid i dont have the space on here to explain the technicalities.
just ask one of your electronics profs at uni.

I'm not asking for why/why not hotplugging. I'm asking where it says anyone was hotplugging in a post _before_ your first post on this thread.

I didn't see anything about "hotplugging" myself. Just about plugging a dynamic microphone into the soundcard.

Back