Plug into soundcard??

ratboy84

Hey everybody! I'm totally new at this so I'm wondering if you guys can help me out. I made a few songs using cakewalk (on my sb live) but i don't know if i'm recording vocals right. I'm getting a marshal v67, so can i just plug that into my soundcards microphone jack or do i need a mixer or somethin? Please help me out! Thanx!

You need a microphone preamp. Since the V67 is a condensor, you need a mic preamp that supplies phantom power. Many mixers have mic preamps that supply phantom power, or you can get standalone pres. Assuming that you're looking cheap, the ART Tube MP (and various other fake tube preamps by various manufacturers) run under $100 for a single channel. The Mackie 1202VLZ mixer has 4 mic channels and runs in the $300 range. The m-Audio Audio Buddy provides two channels in the sub $100 range.

Slackmaster 2000

Spin,

Did you hear Gidge's recording? See https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=39534 and scroll down a ways...

So while the mic preamp on a SB Live, say, is maybe not so great, it's probably passable -- with a dynamic mic, that is. But the Marshall you're talking about is a condenser mic, so I'm afraid you'll need phantom power, which means a mic preamp capable of providing it.

oh ok. thx. I don't think i want to use a dynamic mic. If i want clear vocals a condenser is better, rite?

Is there a way to check to see if my line-in works? what kinds of things can you plug into there?

and it would be better to get a mixer or a preamp to record vocals? thx sooo much!

condenser is better for clear vocals, but considerably more expensive.

most 1/4" outputs are line level and can be plugged into a line in (eg line-out from guitar amp, line out from acoustic with preamp built in, line-out from keyboard...).

If you just need one or two channels a preamp is typically a lot less expensive than a mixer.

-drew

Back