Plug ins

ApeDosMeow

Iv'e found using my Tracktion plug-ins have been pretty fun. The Reverbs work well, don't know to much about compression but it's working out.

what plugs are the best ?????

Happy living

Are there some good verb plugs up there? I'm noticing in many recordings I listen to, especially some latin groups that have caught my ear use a lot of reverb.

It's what gets the bongos, horns, and basically everything else sounding *in the mix*

The reverbs on my DAW program just make them really ambient and hall sounding, enstead of giving them life and not taking away their full tone.

I've been practicing home recording -self taught for the past 4 or 5 years now.

And I have come to realize, your mic preamps, and mic's are very important as far as panning strategy.

But without knowing how to use plugs like Verbs and compression you never get the huge tone your better trained ears desire! Can someone shine some light and give me some more experienced advice here??

I just wanted to add to my last post, I read it and it sounded a little mis leading or confusing.

I've gotten practice at my home studio to get acceptable quality recordings with my equipment. It's not $1000 dollar mixers and pre-amp quality of course. But I want to give you guys the idea, that I have gotten enough practice self producing to know what to do to get a flat clean sound.

I have practiced many panning strategies for guitars mainly (please do post your strategies if wanted) I'm kind of producer stuck (whats that word?!?) I posted a post about producing a group that uses percussion instruments

Ex. two bongos one snare

and was listening to Tito Puente for producing reference. It's not only Tito Puente, many well rounded smooth recordings that have good quality, I have noted the reverb.

I wouldn't doubt compressors. This post was a little sketchy too, but hey. I'm sketchy with this right now too haha :D

Hey guys. Those websites posted, were fantastic! I had no idea there was such free ways to get decent stuff like plug ins online.

They're are so many choices on those websites, I don't even know where to begin.

I'm going to have to try the ones that look appealing into my DAW program and gradually expand my knowledge of how plug-ins work (getting them to sound good)

It should be lots of work, but it should also be fun! Anyone have advice on compressors? I have asked around and get responses like,

"first of all, you need to know why you are using a compressor and then you just use commen sense, no one can teach you how to use a compressor, only time and yourself can."

But come on, there has got to be a way to read at least what the functions do.

thanks for the plug-in websites! Great references

The best reverb is the one a room gives you. I have a pretty decently sized room and a relatively small anechoic booth in my home studio and reverb is the primary reason for having 2 recording environments. My big room is bright and the small one dead. I tend to add very little "extra" reverb in my mixes, mainly doing so in voices, DI Bass, or sometimes a very little "mastering reverb" (to the main out).
Some microphones will pick up more room than others and your placement is just as important for this as well.

Yeah, there are many great free plugins available.
By the way, don't judge a plugin by it's appearance or what it's supposed to sound like (for example, if it looks like an 1176 or an MXR Distortion+ it doesn't mean it will sound like an 1176 or the Dist+).

I 2nd the UAD vote! I just finished acquiring and installing about everything UAD has...and they are excellent. Had a vocal I couldn't get right with EQ, plugged in a fairchild 670 out of curiosity and in a few cliks on presets, found just what I was looking for. Kinda wierd since the fairchild is more of a mastering plug in. Anyhow, they have some good stuff, at competitive prices, and naturally, about a week after my purchase, lowered their prices.

Back