plug-ins ?

You really can't use them before... Plugins are digital Your voice is analog. The signal has to be digitized before you can apply a plugin to it.

Well, I think he means if you could put them on the input bus in Cubase...

I say why tax the CPU unnecessarily while tracking? It's not like you can't use them during mixing. If this was some outboard thing and you KNEW what you were doing and you KNEW you wanted the particular sound, then yeah, but I don't quite see the point with plugins.

Maybe he means using realtime vs. file processing technique... :confused:

Edit: Realtime plus latency...

Last edited:
using plugs on the way in and trying to monitor them will give you latency no matter what the specs of your DAW are. Sticking a bit of outboard reverb or delay on to help the performance but not recording it are very common.

Just don't even bother with plugs until you're done recording. They don't do a damn thing to the incoming recorded signal. There's a three page thread over at tweakheadz.com regarding this, apparently some noobies had no clue that plug ins don't actually do anything to the incoming signal. Plus I like to hear whats really going on during tracking.

but there are ways to defy the laws of plug ins on tracking :)

I set out to find out how to recreate a somewhat console setup using plug ins on my home PT system when I can't work in the studio that has all the high end gear I need. I eventually got so pissed at the set backs of cheaper home based stuff that I started putting my knowledge to use to find a loop hole.

And loop holes have been found. :)

In another month or so, if I'm successful at perfecting this god forsaken template system, then I'll be sure to set up a download for PT 7 users.

It just might help push out an extra 3-6db in home based software.

LeeRosario said:
but there are ways to defy the laws of plug ins on tracking :)

I set out to find out how to recreate a somewhat console setup using plug ins on my home PT system when I can't work in the studio that has all the high end gear I need. I eventually got so pissed at the set backs of cheaper home based stuff that I started putting my knowledge to use to find a loop hole.

And loop holes have been found. :)

In another month or so, if I'm successful at perfecting this god forsaken template system, then I'll be sure to set up a download for PT 7 users.

It just might help push out an extra 3-6db in home based software.

So, whats the correlation between the plugin laws and an extra 3-6db's?

Some plug ins are in real time .. some aren't... when using a real time plug in to get a cool sound while your recording is great... your track goes down dry... it's just an aux effect send to hear your signal wet... you can change EVERYTHING afterwords... including the notes that you sang...IT"S A DIGITAL WORLD!!! .... laws?... lol

latency?... get a good firewire interface... lower your sample rate when recording... increase when you playback to hear what you recorded... latency will become very low when you lower your sample rate when recording.. i'm not a Pro Tools snob but... digidesign has this prob down to a very minimum... oh and besides... when your performing and recording.. you should be feeling what you do more than listening :) if your thinking about what your doing... the time it takes for your brain to process what you want to do and for you to do it....is latency... sorry bout that ;)

"Ground control to Major Tom.....Ground control to Major Tom....."

"Tell my wife I love her very much...SHE KNOOOWWWWOOOS...."

God, I love that song!!!

Now back to your regularly scheduled drivel... :(

jonnyc said:
So, whats the correlation between the plugin laws and an extra 3-6db's?

well none really, it's just a over elaborate way of me saying "when I can't be around super expensive gear, I'm gonna cheat the system and record with the few good plug ins I have at home".

It's too stupid to explain now, if I can get this to work and if the results work somewhat like clock work, then I'll be sure to spread the love.

I usually don't print the fx, but I'll have some on there to sweeten the sound while tracking. Then I'll dump the fx and add them later if need be.

Back