Plug-in power for microphones

Shepherd

Hi all,

I have a Sony MZ900 recorder, and want to use a friend's lapel mic with it. The lapel mic, though, is battery-powered, and the MD recorder supplies plug-in power to mics.

What should I do? Plug in batteryless, or plug in with battery? Can the mic nuke the whole system if it has power and is plugged into a powered input?

Most lapel mics are wireless and the battery is for the transmitter pack to power the mic. The receiver output should plug into the recorder with no problems. If its not a wireless lapel mic it still should plug in without a problem. If its a lapel mic that is wireless, and you don't have the reciever..then there is a problem.

Peace,
Dennis

Not wireless, but still takes a battery. It looks like a pen with a wire running to a 1/4'' mono jack; the jack contains a watch-battery type battery.

The microphone is no doubt an Electret mic. Only and electret would use such a small battery.

Your MD probably ony supplies 1.5 to 3 volts.

I don't THINK the power from the MD would affect the mic. You might want to pose your question to Harvey Gerst to be sure.

Taylor

Back