Plse Help: Drum attack/depth

robf

Hi all -

Wondering if you get help with some pointers...I'm looking for tips re: getting some extra depth/attack especially on the snare and kick drum sound. The kit is close mic'd in a dead studio room. And I am past the point where we can add a room mic as the song is already tracked. Added a bit of reverb but to my ears it still sounds a little dead. Do you agree? If you have a minute to take a listen and let me know this would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?pid=443426&T=2215

thanks
R.

R,

OK - i kinda like the snare sound - but if you want to liven it up a bit you can always take the track and copy it to another track.

This gives you the ability to EQ that track seperately (I'm picturing adding a little bit of upper mids to it) as well as a little bit more reverb - then just start low and bring it slowly into the mix until you get what you want.

For the bass i would (personally) want it a little more pronounced - but still have the bottom.

I like to take the bass and (if I only have one mic on it) again - copy it to another track.

I then run it through a BBS Sonic Maximizer - and bring it back in with a little punch at roughly 800 hz.

I bring that a little more into the mix and add just enough of the original (with plenty of bottom frequencies) to let it's presence be known........ but not enough so it gets muddy.

Then again - I'm not a recording pro - I'm sure some of them can tell you the real way to get there.

Nice take on that song by the way......... you have some nice chops.

Rod

I'd try adding just a harmonic exciter to the bass drum track as well as the snare.

In a nutshell, this is what I would do to the track(s) but every ear is different.

Bass drum track= Harmonic exciter boosting anywhere between the 2-4khz range.
Snare drum track- Harmonic exciter boosting anywhere between 1.5K-3khz range.
Master Channel FX= FAsoft's Compressor set to Soft Knee.

You may want to add an aural (bass) exciter to you bass drum but it sounds pretty full-bodied on my system.

Experiment within these effects and see if you get any closer to what you're looking for.

Nice job overall on the recording, BTW.

Back