Pls check my bollywood Mix

I know it's common to have Indian vocals dripping in reverb, but if you made the vocal in this one a bit drier, it would pull it forward into the same plane that you have that funky left and right riff happening. Also, I think the vocal could benefit from a de-esser.

I like how it moves. Pass the dal.

I agree with dobro - the vocal reverb inherent in this genre is too much for my taste, and the fact that its placed on the vocal done to a backing track puts it in a different space.

I would pull the vocals back a little, dry it up a bit, I think working the midrange as suggested would not hurt the vocals/mix.

Nice vocals, might be time to add a real band and take it all to the next level.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions! I have lowered the reverb, added a desser, and uploaded the second version in my first post.

Nice vocals, might be time to add a real band and take it all to the next level.

Thanks for the comment! My biggest problem is monitoring. I usually sing with speakers on. So I always struggle to get in with the tempo and pitch for the low volume parts. I cannot hear my voice and I have to sing louder which misses up the pitch ( you can hear it). So just not happy :(. I think I can do much better. I guess I will have to do a lot of trial and error with the headphones.
Btyre2013
I used some some Elysia Museq and alpha comp plug-ins in wavelab to try and tame the reverb, just did this as an experiment, let me know what you think:

Thanks a lot! i do like it.

And I can upload the raw vocals and the track, if you are interested in taking a quick stab. Or for anyone in here. I would love to see how you would mix a bollywood song in your style/taste. Also, would love to know what is wrong with my source. I just think i have too much low end and such.

Tracking vox with speakers always seems like a sub-optimal way to do things. Do you not have a decent set of headphones?

That being said, the song sounds pretty good. Is the backing all VSTis then?

Tracking vox with speakers always seems like a sub-optimal way to do things. Do you not have a decent set of headphones?

That being said, the song sounds pretty good. Is the backing all VSTis then?

I agree. I need to figure it out. i have a closed headphones.

Thanks! I just used a backing track. they took the vocals out of it, but you can kind of hear it. I just did the vocals.

Well, I listened to the first mix, and it really didn't disturb me at all.

I didn't mind the level of reverb . . . it suited the genre. However, it may be worth adding more reverb to the back to give it the same sense of space. The difference is noticeable when ti goes into those silent bits.

The bass was strong, but a bit woofly. That may be a consequence of tracking via speakers. The earlier comment about midrange in the reverb may be a result of the same thing.

The ending was a bit abrupt.

I enjoyed it.

Well, I listened to the first mix, and it really didn't disturb me at all.

I didn't mind the level of reverb . . . it suited the genre. However, it may be worth adding more reverb to the back to give it the same sense of space. The difference is noticeable when ti goes into those silent bits.

The bass was strong, but a bit woofly. That may be a consequence of tracking via speakers. The earlier comment about midrange in the reverb may be a result of the same thing.

The ending was a bit abrupt.

I enjoyed it.

Thanks! What did you think of the second version? And what do you mean by adding reverb to the back of it?

When they remove the vocal, some of the sharpness and clarity goes with it. So the drums aren't really tight. Also the monitoring too as you said I guess.

Sometimes I think the reverb helps full the space. Since the backing track is one track, the vocal tend to sit on top compared to actual songs when you are mixing different tracks and vocals together. I maybe wrong.

Also just to give some numbers: I lowered the ableton reverb from 1.92 to 1.53 and lowered the high cut from 5.15 to 4.5.

I like what you've done with the second version. When Gecko said 'adding more reverb to the back' he was talking about adding reverb to the backing track to sort of bridge the gap between the reverby vocal and the backing track. But there's less need for that in the second version.

I like the optimism that called this one 'sawan final mp3'. :)

I think it's better than before. There's still this issue though: the side stuff coming left and right is louder than the vocal, so there's a huge imbalance. I don't think you should turn the vocal up more than a dB. I think you should turn the left and right stuff down about 1.5 dB though. I would turn it down even more than that ordinarily, but it's what's pushing this tune along.

I really like this one. Good work.

Perhaps the vocal can go up a bit, as Dobro suggests. I am the one normally pushing for louder vocals, but in this case, I'm ok with where they are.

I think it is a great tune (though I don't understand a word of it). There is a rich and complex sonic landscape that's a pleasure to listen to; you would not get bored listening to this track.

Dobro said: "I really like this one. Good work." That's what I reckon too. Well done.

Thank you Dobro and Gecko!:

i lowered the backing track a bit. It sounds better I think. i uploaded the mp3 in the same post. The more and more I hear, the more I lose the initial excitement for the song.

You lose the intial excitement, yes, but if a song's really good you don't lose the pleasure of listening to it. That's the only way I can get through a mix - I have to listen to it dozens and dozens of times - if I didn't like what was happening in the song, it would be a boring turn-off.

i lowered the backing track a bit. It sounds better I think.

Here's another example of what I'm talking about (it's a tune that's recently posted here):

https://soundcloud.com/holdenharrismusic/come-through

Check how the drums are so dry and forward compared to the vocal which has got tons of effect on it which pushes it way back in the mix. I dunno - maybe people are so used to beats that they like that kind of sound, but it sounds goofy to me, like there's a guy with a beatbox sitting right on the front edge of the stage, legs dangling over the edge, and twenty feet behind him the singer's trying to get noticed by singing his ass off. In both this tune and your song, it's the percussion that drives the tune, but still it's the vocal that has the spotlight. That's why the drums shouldn't outclass the vocal.

Here's another example of what I'm talking about (it's a tune that's recently posted here):

https://soundcloud.com/holdenharrismusic/come-through

Check how the drums are so dry and forward compared to the vocal which has got tons of effect on it which pushes it way back in the mix. I dunno - maybe people are so used to beats that they like that kind of sound, but it sounds goofy to me, like there's a guy with a beatbox sitting right on the front edge of the stage, legs dangling over the edge, and twenty feet behind him the singer's trying to get noticed by singing his ass off. In both this tune and your song, it's the percussion that drives the tune, but still it's the vocal that has the spotlight. That's why the drums shouldn't outclass the vocal.

I completely understand. And I very much appreciate you taking the time to explain me. since it is a backing track (and not that good), I just couldn't EQ out the specific offending part. So I just lowered the volume.

Did you hear the second one where I lowered the backing track?

I will post it in the Mix section to see if someone can mix it better. Thanks again bro!

Back