Plosives, the best method of dealing with them tracking and mixing?

imnotdeafyet

Diaphragm rattlers, input circuitry chokers, and unintentional kick drum mockers... the ubiquitous plosive - how are you dealing with them? Best type of pop screen? In post: Snipping them off? High Shelf?

Other than smacking the vocalist, a good pop screen is probably your best friend. Anything to stop it from actually hitting the mic and causing that surge in voltage...

After the fact? HPF's, manual draw, whatever works well for the source.

The thing is, with everyone (especially consumers) using sub-woofers now, it's sort of like a new issue to pay attention to. Or at least, needs some reconsideration.

Three ways of dealing with them that I know of:

1 Buy a pop filter

2 Don't sing directly into the mike . . . direct the air stream slightly to one side

3 Learn not to pop the 'p's and 'b's (it can be done)

Opo screen is a help as it creates distance from the mic as well as breaking the air flow a little.
I've tried the pencil trick. It has worked on a couple of vocalists but it's a case of horses for courses with that method.

Three ways of dealing with them that I know of:

1 Buy a pop filter

2 Don't sing directly into the mike . . . direct the air stream slightly to one side

3 Learn not to pop the 'p's and 'b's (it can be done)

That's about it. Although, I can't do 3. It just comes out sounding like f's instead and is weird.

And the coat hanger and pantyhose still works. I don't think having subwoofers makes the issue worse or the solution more complicated.

If they're there after the fact, find where the energy is and knock it down with volume or EQ automation...then go slap whoever recorded it and tell them to go get another job.

Pop screen is the way to go. I prefer the metal ones over the nylon ones, but they both work. Alos, re-aim the mic so it isn't in the breath blast.

This really is a singer problem. Plosives and "S" problems are normally the singer. It tends to happen with people who don't sing very loud. P's, B's, T's and S's are always about the same volume all the time. If the person is singing quietly, those problem sounds are louder in comparison and become a problem. They are also a consequence of poor breath control.

I agree.
You can also try and wave your hand across your mouth path to the mic when the plosives crop up. But if a combination of all that's been suggested still doesn't get rid of the plosives, then put a towel over the singers head. You'll be begging for plosives, it's so effective.

My songs have no consonants in them. I do a killer version of "Ole McDonald". E I E I O.

Back