Plextor 4X12...... SCSI ?

Alan

I am now the proud owner of a Plextor 4X12, it is a SCSI device...now excuse my extreme ignorance but, does that mean I need a SCSI card in the comp, or can I connect it with a normal IDE interface cable.
1.If so will it work, but just not as quick.
2.Or will it not work, and I've gotta get a SCSI card.
If its answer 1 is answer 2 still an option should I ever feel the need to buy an SCSI card, and if I do what are the advantages.
Thanks.....Alan : )

Hi Alan,

You have no option but to get a SCSI controller card for it, unless you have one built into your motherboard(not likely). Plextor's site mentions that an adaptec 2940 is bundled with their drives, but maybe only if you buy a "kit". Adaptec are pretty much the standard, looking at around $200 for a 2940U.

Emeric

Need some more information. I'm assuming it's PC and not Mac, you don't have a SCSI hard drive and adapter, no SCSI on the motherboard, and you already have it and know there's no card with it (did you order it online or by phone, and are you waiting to get it? If so, check on it to see if it's a retail kit, which should include the adapter).

You will need a SCSI adapter for it, but you don't need to get ultra wide SCSI. You only need Fast SCSI 2, about $45-$75, depending on what brand and where you buy it.

Thanks for the info guys,
Will the adaptec 2904cd kit do the job ?
It probably should have come with the package, so I'm gonna chase up the mail order company on Mon morning.
Geez ya get all excited about a new piece of kit, and they dont send you the right stuff !!
Aint that just the way it goes !!! LOL
Alan : )

This thread reminds me of why I went for an IDE CDR. What is the advantage of SCSI for this peripheral, especially if you'll be writing from an IDE HD? Don't believe anyone who tells you that a SCSI drive will burn CDs faster or more reliably. CDRs write only at their max rate or at slower rates. Either your HD/bus system can keep up (it works) or it can't keep up (coaster syndrome).

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 07-04-1999).]

Who did you order it from? Companies sell OEM products and will say "OEM" "Bulk" or "Drive Only". This is less expensive than a retail kit and convenient for people who only need the drive. You need to check on the order and find out exactly what you're getting. If it's a kit, you should get the drive, adapter card, cable, and software. If it's OEM, you'll only get the drive, but hopefully they included software.

Ultra wide is overkill for a CDR, and if it only has 68 pin connectors it won't even fit a CDR drive (2940U2W, I think, has both 50 and 68 pins on separate buses). If you need an adapter card, make sure it's 50 pin. Fast SCSI 2 is all you need. www.ic-direct.com and www.hypermicro.com has the Tekram DC-390 for $45, IC-Direct has Adaptec 2910C for $75. Plextor is bundling Adaptec 2930C with the 8/20 CDR, if you want to look into that card also.

SCSI is faster, but IDE is not far behind these days. The superiority of SCSI is mostly in it's bus mastering. It can handle multitasking peripherals better than IDE.

I went with a Ricoh IDE CDRW because I'm not going to be doing anything else with my PC when I'm burning CDs. Maximum PC gave them a good write up, and I haven't heard anything bad about them. It has 120 ms seek, 2 MB buffer, it's rewritable 4x4x20, and I got it for $249 OEM with Adaptec software, so I gave it a shot. I haven't used it for burning CDs yet, but we'll see if I did the right thing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the card. If you got the CDR from a reputable company, you probably got it for less than a kit. It'll just end up being inconvenient for you too have to order an adapter, and you can't get a better CDR than a Plextor. Just ask Dragon
smile.gif

Thanks again, I've ordered the Adaptec 2904 CD Kit. Which is the basic model, but will do the trick ( or so they say ).
Take care and thanks again.

Alan...: )

Back