Plex same as Recycle?

Not really.

Plex works in the frequency domain. It analyses the frequency content of an audo stream which you feed into it in real time and then it allows you to apply synthesis methods to those bands (it's more complex, but that's basically it in a nutshell).

ReCycle on the other hand is not a real time tool, it's an offline process. It analyzes the peaks (amplitude) in an audio file (that's why it works really well with drum loops) and chops them into slices at those peaks, which in drum loops is usually the transients. Once the loop is choped into slices, you can then manipulate those slices as individual notes, you can change them around, you can alter their pitch, if you have a sampler you can load them into a sampler with each slice mapped to a note, and trigger them from the sampler and apply the sampler's filters to them. This is why it is possible to alter the tempo of a loop w/o affecting its pitch, because once it is sliced in effect each slice is now a separate sample.

Actually another application that's very much like ReCycle is WaveSurgeon and some will argue it's better and better priced. The main reason I didn't get it is because ReCycle supports my sampler and WaveSurgeon doesn't.

Again, Plex and ReCycle are apples and oranges.

Alright I see what your saying. Thanks for the explanation. Plex looks really cool though cause you can combine parts of like 2 different intruments/sounds to make a new one.

Back