Please Vote! Do you think LEAD vocals are TOO LOUD or JUST RIGHT?

frostyplan

I recorded the following tracks for my new album that will be released soon. But I need some "good ears" to help me with the lead vocal mix.

Do you think the lead vocals are:
1. Too loud, or
2. Just right.

Please VOTE! And thanks for your comments. I appreciate it.
frostyplan

Attachments

• 01-He Set Me Free-I'll Fly Away.mp3
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 04-Peace Speaker.mp3
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 11-Sincerely Yours.mp3
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
I think they are a little hot in the first one. Ok in the 2nd and 3rd one.

Don't get me wrong, it's a loud vocal in all of them, but whenever I hear music like this, it seems like the vocals are really loud. I think you're ok. Clean recordings.

About right...

Let me understand this though... you joined over 11 years ago, and this is your FIRST post???? :eek:

Frostyplan responds to thread . . .

Here's the thing . . . there are a LOT of sites out there. I forgot I had joined this one and stumbled across it again, yes after several years. I'm just looking for a bit of feedback . . .

Yes, I am a she . . .

My CD was "professionally mastered". The engineer told me to make the lead vocals "hot" so that he would have "room" to bring up everything around it without drowning me out. I got my disc back, and then regretted that I changed my mix at all. Now I can't get a hold of the guy and it's been 4 weeks!

I want my album to be "warm". I want my vocals to be more "wrapped" in the music. I'd like him to do it over with a new mix . . . but in the mean time, I was hoping for some other opinions on it . . .

Thanks in adavance for any help from the forum . . .
frostyplan

My CD was "professionally mastered". The engineer told me to make the lead vocals "hot" so that he would have "room" to bring up everything around it without drowning me out............

I'd like him to do it over with a new mix .
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Is he a Mastering engineer or a Mixing engineer? If he's supposed to be Mastering it, then he should be working with YOUR 2 track MIX of the song that you're happy with. Telling you to make a mix that isn't what you want so that he can bring other instruments up just doesn't make sense.

About the mastering engineer . . .

I don't know very much about mastering. But I am just repeating what the engineer told me. He said the process they use (in mastering) will magnify the instruments, and minimize the vocals. He told me this would be a problem, and that I should go ahead and put the vocals "out front" so he'd have room to work.

I'm not an engineer, just a singer and musician with a wee bit of money, that I've now spent, and don't know if I can get the project corrected . . . if it needs to be corrected . . .
Thanks,
frostyplan

at first I thought the were a bit out front...then I didnt notice so much...Id definitely try and get this engineer to redo this, and any worth his salt should without further payment

but if they had to remain like this I wouldnt be too disappointed...far worse to have them too far back in the mix

#1 too loud
#4 a bit too loud (sometimes) ->needs better compression, fader riding
#11 a bit too loud
those mixes are not very good. esp. on 4 & 11 vox sounds detached. try some soft/long reverb. the instruments also sometimes don't shine. a good mixing engineer will fix these problems in 5-10 minutes.

Good News Everyone!

I got a hold of the mastering engineer. He was unavailable at first, because he was out of town, and then the following week, because of the storms that went thru the South - He's in Tennessee . . . so we are on good terms afterall and he's VERY happy to redo the mastering!

So far, everyone has been leaning toward the lead vocals being too loud. I think so too. So I'm going to adjust that and resubmit my work.

As for the instruments and stuff, the only track I completely played on (played instruments and also used loops and samples) and mixed myself, was track #1. The other tracks were done in professional studios and those are out of my hands . . . so . . .

Thanks to everyone - you helped me to see that I do need to adjust the levels, and then I think the album will be presentable.
Sincerely,
frostyplan

Back