Please take a listen to this drums mix.

timvdwest

Hey all,

Please can you take a listen here and give me some input on this drum mix. Any ideas or criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link.

I've used a sample for the kick drum, because the original wasn't up to scratch.

Here is a dry mix, I think you got me thinking that the room sound is wet enough. Tell me what you think.

Thanks for the feedback!

Link

Too me, that sounds much better. However, you're probably gonna want more verb, on the snare especially, once it's in a mix. Just work on getting a good reverb sound. Try a short fast plate timed to the beat.

I can't say the first one sounds bad, because the reverb you have on it might suit the rest of the mix when other instruments come in. But, I agree with NL5 that the second one sounds much better. I don't know if you changed anything other than the reverb, but the snare in the second one even sounds "fatter".

I can't say the first one sounds bad, because the reverb you have on it might suit the rest of the mix when other instruments come in. But, I agree with NL5 that the second one sounds much better. I don't know if you changed anything other than the reverb, but the snare in the second one even sounds "fatter".

Yes, sorry i changed the snare as well, because i wasn't happy with it. Here is a sample with some of the rough audio of the other parts (no bass yet though - weird setup dont ask). Can u guys take a listen to the following:

1. the toms on the first part, and
2. the build up after the guitar interlude.

It will sound a lot better once i can widen up the guitars and things, but at the moment ive got all guitars and vocals in a single wave so not possible yet.

Take a listen,

link

oh yes and this is with the dry drum mix.

I was just saying that the first reverb is very unnatural sounding. It wasn't even a matter of fitting into a mix. The second one will most likely need some verb added, but my preference is for something at least somewhat realistic sounding. The slapback was way too intense.

Yes, sorry i changed the snare as well, because i wasn't happy with it. Here is a sample with some of the rough audio of the other parts (no bass yet though - weird setup dont ask). Can u guys take a listen to the following:

1. the toms on the first part, and
2. the build up after the guitar interlude.

It will sound a lot better once i can widen up the guitars and things, but at the moment ive got all guitars and vocals in a single wave so not possible yet.

Take a listen,

link

oh yes and this is with the dry drum mix.

Guitars are pretty harsh, and sound like they have that same slapback heavy verb on them. Again, sounds totally unnatural, and rather odd. :)

Thanks guys, cant wait to record the rest of the stuff - I agree the guitars are very raw and harsh - I will get back to you when i have got the rest of the stuff recorded.

Thanks again for the input - gonna use it wisely and if you have anything else just post it!

Back