Please suggest a DAW software for a beginner

Just throwing it out there, MAGIX Music Maker for beginners, Samplitude Pro X for those looking to go all the way!

Hi Alan,
If you are associated with the Company* that's a bit spammy?
If you are not associated then that is an unfortunate choice of handle!

We (son and I ) tried Music Maker. Bit ToysRus for we. But then we started off with MAGIX Studio Generation 6 (£9.99 from Smiths!) then Computer Music gave away Samplitude SE8 and we loved it! Had it on 3 PCs at one time, still use it daily on this old P4 XPer.

But the best offering for the noob IMHO is Samplitude Silver. Totally free and very easy to use, well, as far as ANY DAW is! Shame MAGIX make it so hard to find and then piss you about 7 days later to register it...Why? It's FREE FFS! (do they not know about Reaper????).

*If you are associated with Magix please tell them two things from me?
1) Stop being such a snotty bunch (they make Steinberg seem like a pissed guy who wants to be your friend!) .

2) Make something like SE8 but for modern PCs (and I 'spose macs) and knock it out at a nifty..Producer is nice, tried the demo, but at one and half hundred quid, just too pricey....

Oh! And stop with all the fekkin' reigisration bllx (again, see Reaper, Modartt and others.) They really DON'T have to go around with a pine cone up their ass!

Dave.

Nice thread. So, I have been using Ableton Live for about 2 years and I am getting very comfortable with it. What I like about Ableton is its approach to music. Clips, scenes, etc. I will record some passes, get some drums in and lay various foundations and try different sequences then move into arrangement view to lay down the linear part of the song. I think Ableton's approach (I don't know all of the others) is a very unique way of approaching music. Plus, it does provide an opportunity to use it live (hum, Ableton Live?).

With that said, I am now delving into Reaper. Say what you want, say what you will, but any software company that charges $60 for such a program with as much flexibility as Reaper, you have to give that some respect just on the effort front. But it appears to be a very good program that would rival Cakewalk, Sonar, etc. Plus, the download is fully functional except for some nagware when you first open it if you haven't purchased it (which is fair). So, to ignore Reaper would be a mistake IMO, as they are always improving the software and its biggest downfall I have seen is the learning curve. But they all have that.

If I were giving advice to a new person with a limited budget, I would have to give Reaper the nod just from pure price/function perspective. Plus they have a great forum for help. Once you know what you want, you can always move to another DAW as you won't have much tied up in Reaper.

Back