please review Yamaha MD8

jbascur

I´ll start working next year, and you know...
I want to upgrade my TASCAM 414. I really want to go to a MD8. It promess digital heaven...
If somebody know something about it, please let me know to spend my first salary in the right investment.

When I first entered into the world of digital, I looked at Yamaha and Roland. The Yamaha MD-8 is a nice machine but there are a couple of things to consider....
The MD-8 uses data compression, you can only record 8 tracks, and it is not as flexible as the competing Roland products.
I'm not endorsing Roland, it is just my opinion that you get more "bang for the buck." The entry level VS-840 (which I first purchased) uses data compression, but Rolands compression doesn't handle the data in the way that the MD-8 does. The VS-840 records on ZIP disks and the "EX" version of the recorder offers a 250 meg ZIP drive giving you plenty recording time.

The Roland recorder will cost you a couple hundred dollars less, and it offers better digital quality and expandability. Going to a VS-880EX will put you into the hard disk recording realm. I just purchased the VS-1680 16 track and love it. It sounds great, and has more features than I could hope for.

These are just some opinions for you. I personally can't see support and expandability in the Mini-Disk format. Roland's new products will offer you expandability and upgrade options in the future.

Hey Jbascur:

I moved up to the MD-8 by Yamaha after a couple of Tascam 8 track decks. One improvement you will get is MUCH LESS NOISE.

Also, never have to wait for tape to rewind; just push a button and, zingo, you're back to the start.

The sound of the Yam MD-8 is not as good as CD due to the compression. But, it is a reasonably priced box and the get-started section of the manual is fairly clear; but, other sections of the manual are typical, lots of logorrhea.

You will like the MD-8; maybe you should also look into one of the Roland boxes with no compression; but, I'm sure the manual will blow you away as most of them do.

I just got my third drum machine, BOSS 770 and it's great; however, after the "get started" section, it's ugly. Since this is my third drum machine, I've got the basics down fairly well.

You should be able to secure more help on the net but, surprisingly, there is not much as of this date regarding use of the the MD-8.

Good luck and once you go digital, you'll never go back.

Green Hornet

Have to agree with Warble about the quality of the Roland products. But, the people who write the manuals must be graduates from Devil's Island.

But, remember, There are quite a few other digital set-ups out there but since I've never heard them, I can't offer much comment.

I did go to a seminar in Grand Rapids sponsored by Digitech; they did not really speak for beginners; they were strictly trying to talk to engineers or someone well-versed in the product. That what all of the ads state: "Buy this box; it's easys."

Well, some parts are easy but the directions of other functions are ambiguous in many cases.

So research what you buy and be prepared for a learning curve. It's the way the world operates.

Green Hornet
PS Thank goodness for sites like this one!

Back