Please review this and tell me if/when it sucks (thick skin here)

megamark16

Hey guys, here's my latest attempt at writing/recording. Been out of it for about a year and a half now and I'm really hoping to pick up somewhere near where I left off.

The song in question is Your Protection, while Crying To Me is my old one.

Thanks in advance and please, have a listen and tear it to shreds if you feel so inclined! My wife thinks it sounds fine (except the drums, she says they sound dumb, but without a set there's not much more I can do) so at this point I need some subjective ears please.

Thanks!
Mark

windows media player has an "unknown error" when trying Your Protection....I hate when that happens....

what format is the file in?

MP3 format, and I was able to open it with WMP9. You might try Winamp? I don't know that much about NoWhereRadio, but it's working for me :| I hope you can get it working, I'd really like to hear some feedback. Let me know if you still can't get it to work, and we can figure something else out.

Thanks
Mark

had to download...

after downloading the song it worked no problem.

I think overall the individual tracks are fine to work with, with the exception of a couple pops & cracks.

Everything was direct yes?

First take some bottom off the vocals for sure.

Second, try a remix with setting the drum levels first, then bass, then vocals, then guitars. After you've got a good drum/bass foundation, turn your monitoring levels down low and to work on the vocals and guitars.
I find mixing at low levels makes the "ear sensitive" frequencies more apparent and gives you a better representation of percieved loudness. Plus if you don't have a treated mixing room like me, it can help reduce the adverse effects your room can have on your mixers. (This is a trick I learned that works very well for me so far...mix at low levels after building your bottom foundation.)

The reason I say this is your vocals don't sit well in the mix, they stick out too much, and the drums should be more apparent than they currently are.

Lastly, you should consider experimenting more with panning. For example, two rythym guitar are playing the same thing, one acoustic and one electric w/ chorus. Try panning one left & one right (NOT 100%! Anything but hard left and right)) to widen the stereo field a little.

If I think of anything else I'll be sure to let you know.

Hope to hear more in the future, good luck!

JKestle said:
windows media player has an "unknown error" when trying Your Protection....I hate when that happens....

what format is the file in?

I get that too.

Nowhere radio stinks.

Read the instructions on how to configure your player to play streams. This ain't DLAPB like other sites, this is actual streaming. P.S. it's Windows Media player that stinks, it can't (and won't) play dozens of formats.

W.

Thanks for the feedback JKestle! I really appreciate it!

Anyone else listened to it and have any feedback? Please? :)

Thanks!
Mark

TheRealWaldo said:
Read the instructions on how to configure your player to play streams. This ain't DLAPB like other sites, this is actual streaming. P.S. it's Windows Media player that stinks, it can't (and won't) play dozens of formats.

W.

It plays them......sometimes. If it was my configuration, wouldn't it do it all the time or not at all?

hmmmmmm...now I'm confused.

Vocals are "muffled". Eq can help it.

Drums were not pleasing and overall low in volume. Better volume and eq can fix that.

That thing that was said about stereo imagery with the rythm guitars was a good idea too.

Doubling and backing the main vocal would add some character to this song.

It's not the worst I've heard. Good try!!

No, because there is hundreds of different types of mp3, and several methods of them being distributed to a player for playback.

W.

Back