Please Review Powerpop Song

I can see Pistachio's point. The harmonies are there, but they're pretty subtle; unless you're listening for them, you could miss 'em. That may not be a bad thing though. They sound pretty good where they are.

The harmonies are very subtle. I'd like em a little bigger myself. I can see how they'd get missed on a casual listen. The mix sounds overall pretty good. I agree with most of the other mix comments. The bass git is kind weak. Snare could be louder. The song is incredibly sterile and pretty boring, but I think "radio friendly" is your angle, so you nailed it. Good job overall.

That song is beautifully arranged and catchy! The only thing I'd consider is turning up the bass a little, as I can't hear it. That said, everyone always tells me to turn down the bass in my songs. In your case though I think there is room for it, and it could balance well with you vocals since your voice (which I like) doesn't sound like to touches anywhere close to the end of the freq spectrum.

But even if you don't do this, you've got a great song on your hands. It reminds me of a great band out of New Jersey called Spiraling, particularly with emphasis on catchiness and unique chord transitions. Well done!

Kerry

The vocals sound weird to me for some reason. They sound heavily processed or layered. It reminds me of a cross between the cars and boston LOL. It sounds good and all, but at times it's pretty harsh to my ears. I'm not insulting your music or your skill, but the speakers I'm listening to this on is your average set up computer speakers and it sounds kind of weird to me.

The vocals sound weird to me for some reason. They sound heavily processed or layered. It reminds me of a cross between the cars and boston LOL. It sounds good and all, but at times it's pretty harsh to my ears. I'm not insulting your music or your skill, but the speakers I'm listening to this on is your average set up computer speakers and it sounds kind of weird to me.

Phil: Exactly! The vocals are indeed doubled, and comparisons to the Cars and Boston are compliments to me. The song is supposed to have a sugary pop sounding vocal. Check it out in some headphones. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah the cars and boston comment wasn't an insult. I like the cars way more than boston though. The cars are just cool no matter what :D

It's a good song I just think there is something you can do to the vocals to make them sound less processed. It sounds like some kind of unneeded effect is on them.

Phil: Exactly! The vocals are indeed doubled, and comparisons to the Cars and Boston are compliments to me. The song is supposed to have a sugary pop sounding vocal. Check it out in some headphones. Thanks for the suggestions!

Are the vocals double tracked or are you using a doubler on main vocal track the track? I know when I listened waves doubler cam to mind.

F.S.

Yeah, its the Waves Doubler. I usually double track them myself, but was really struggling to find the time to record "perfect" vocals two times. The Doubler does a pretty good job.

I'd drop the gain on the doubled part or parts and it might sound a little less chorusy. I have never been able to use the doubler without it sounding more like an effect to me but, it can do some interesting things.

F.S.

Typing while listening. Sounds great. A super polished mix. Love the thump of the bass drum on my system, seems to sit perfect to my ears. The vocals sound super smooth. The song itself is very well done. No nitpicking here, sounds awesome man. Hope to hear more in the future.

Take care

Gary

Back