please rate my voice

Positive - you have a great voice. Reminds me of Elvis.
Need work - sometimes you go flat - most noticeable at the end of a line.
Live - this wouldn't be a big deal, but recording you can hear everything.

Very Johnny Cashy! I like it :)

A couple of things I noticed: when you sing "ghetto" you do a very aspirated "t". While great for classical singing, I think it stands out because the rest is a much more laid-back and casual diction. So you want to do it more like "geddo" instead (same for backing vocals).

Recording-wise, there seems to be some distortion on the vocals as the volume increases. Not sure what is causing this, but perhaps if you post elsewhere in the recording part of this forum you can get some feedback on your mix.

For vocal technique, I think as your voice fades, you sometimes lose tone which causes the pitchiness. So you have one kind of voice when it's full out which is nice and dark, and then when you fade to softer sound, it ends up losing the depth and thus changes pitch. So as you get softer, you need to add more darkness to the sound in order to maintain the integrity of the sound.

With Blue Moon, your sound changes considerably on the top. So either your lower darker notes are your real voice, in which case you need to be careful you sing notes that are within your range, or the higher less dark notes are your real voice and the dark stuff is an affect that you are putting on.

Which way feels more comfortable to you? What would happen if you got darker and louder (more air movement) as you went for those high notes instead of letting the larynx come up and squeeze off the sound, you may get a much more consistent tone.

Thank you both for your feedback. Do you think I need to work more on my breath control?
Also what do you mean about dark notes?Sorry if I am being stupid.:)

Thank you both for your feedback. Do you think I need to work more on my breath control?
Yes - your voice is fine just watch the end notes. Running out of breath at the end?

Dark is when you sing with a lowered larynx. If you place your fingers on your Adam's apple (the lump on your throat) and then swallow, the lump (your larynx) goes up. Also note that when you are swallowing, no air can pass through your windpipe when you swallow. Now try yawning, and feel the larynx go down. Notice how open your throat feels when yawning.

Both of these are too extreme for singing, but it's to illustrate what's going on. When you sing in your lower notes, your larynx is in a lower position, which makes the sound darker and richer, but when you go higher in pitch, your larynx comes up and we lose that darkness. So then as you ascend, you need to simultaneously get louder and darker (bring the larynx down).

Thanks for explaining Morodiene.:thumbs up:
4tracker is that a good or bad thing:)

It's a great thing. But that is tone wise. You lack the control they had. But still, you're in the 95% percentile probably and can do a lot with that voice.

Back