Please mix this

wanttomix

Hello, my name is Alex and i dream of going somewhere in music. I am new to these forums and would like to become a part of your community with the hopes of improving my skills as a mixer/singer/songwriting. I cant seem to make any of my songs sound very good. I am not very good at guitar or singing but i enjoy writing music and hope i could turn it into a career some day. I was hoping some of you guys could try giving my music a try. I really want to hear what my music would sound like if properly mixed. View attachment Broken Knees just guitar.mp3View attachment Broken Knees just vocal.mp3View attachment broken knees my attempt.mp3View attachment Broken Knees vocals and gutar.mp3

Please to any one who wants to give it a shot. im really interested in hearing how someone else editing this can make it sound. whether your good at mixing or not i would be really int rested in hearing what some of you can do or if not give me advice and opinions on what you think about my mix

I've been visiting family for the holidays so I haven't been on the forums or had any time to do a mix for someone else, but I'll say this: telling us in your first post that you're not a good guitarist or singer doesn't make me want to mix your music. You're having trouble making your music sound good when you're admittedly bad musician, I'm not sure where the confusion is.

If you want to improve your mixing skills but you yourself are not good musician, you should try mixing other people's music here on the forum.

Side note: if you want people to mix you song please provide .wav files, not .mp3s

I've been visiting family for the holidays so I haven't been on the forums or had any time to do a mix for someone else, but I'll say this: telling us in your first post that you're not a good guitarist or singer doesn't make me want to mix your music. You're having trouble making your music sound good when you're admittedly bad musician, I'm not sure where the confusion is.

If you want to improve your mixing skills but you yourself are not good musician, you should try mixing other people's music here on the forum.

Side note: if you want people to mix you song please provide .wav files, not .mp3s

Thank you for your feedback, Brian; I understand where you are coming from. I'm honestly not a very good artist when you compare me to anyone on the radio, or some of the covers on YouTube... But i am someone who loves music. I would love to hear what my songs would sound like if mixed properly. I do not have a proper knowledge or set up to mix my own tracks. I was really hoping some of you guys could make one of my tracks have that rich full sound. although it may not benefit you, it would benefit me greatly. I do plan on mixing other posters tracks on this forum to get feedback on my mixing, but in the meantime i would really appreciate it if one of you could give me a milestone of my hard work in the forum of a wav file. should i re-upload in wav? i know mp3 is lower quality, but i figured it would be better as a smaller file. Thanks

Yes, upload .wav files to a dropbox folder and link us here. I will gladly take a look when I return to my studio tonight or tomorrow.

Yes, upload .wav files to a dropbox folder and link us here. I will gladly take a look when I return to my studio tonight or tomorrow.

Awesome thanks a lot Brian, i re did my original attempt, im mixing on a crappy 60 dollar pair headphones... but tell me what you guys think

Attachments

• another attempt.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Having the guitar in tune would've been a good place to start, my friend. There's not much point mixing ingredients that are fatally flawed before you even begin.

Having the guitar in tune would've been a good place to start, my friend. There's not much point mixing ingredients that are fatally flawed before you even begin.

the guitar i used is sort of not tune-able :s i have 2 other guitars, a really nice seagull, and a BC rich electric. for some reason i cant do a guitar track then make a vocal track over it... i have to do a scratch track.. but when i do my scratch track i can never duplicate the guitar in a second track, so i record the guitar into the computer and sing out loud recording the vocals with a different mic, so the vocals will be re done but the guitar will remain the same. that might be hard to understand... i wish i could use my seagul but it doesnt have a pickup like my crappy acoustic does, and i could use my electric but for some reason i cant sing over electric... i could record my seagul by placing one mic on the seagul and one mic on the room for my scratch track for vocals... but then the vocals bleed into the seguls recording. any advice appreciated. i could buy a new acoustic with a pick up but ive allways though it was best to record with a mic to the guitar. any advice would be appreciated. thanks

The the standard order for correcting your mix is:

0. Have a good song - No point in recording something that isn't very good to start with, right?
1. Be great at performing the song - The best recording is going to be an accurate capture of what your actual performance sounds like. The better you can be in the rehearsal space, the better you'll be in the studio.
2. Have great tone - Again, a good recording is an accurate picture of what's happening when you play your instrument. Get your instrument to sound the best it can in the space you have, and everything afterwards gets easier.
3. Accurately capture the sound of the instrument - What you hear on the tape (or DAW) should be as close to what's happening in the room as possible.
4. Then mix - If you've done the other parts well, getting a passable mix is mostly just a matter of getting everything to the appropriate volume, and you won't need to "fix" anything.
5+ Master, etc. - That's outside of the scope of this.

So if you can't get your overdubs in sync with each other, that means you're failing at step 1.
If your guitar has bad intonation, that means you're failing at step 2.

Practice along with your scratch track until you can get the vocals and the guitar to line up with it perfectly. Get your tone to sound great. Then record the overdubs (and probably throw out the scratch take)

(Then upload lossless files for us to help you mix: flac or wav or something :D )

Okay. Even though the source material isn't perfect and it's definitely not my usual musical style, I set myself the challenge of seeing what I could do in 30 minutes.

Here's the result: https://app.box.com/s/uzohgyac25xgxhrbq93a

There's one place that really needs a change but that would have violated my 30 minute rule.

You're trying too hard for an idiosyncratic vocal style, in my opinion. It's like when wannabee actors in Hollywood call themselves something like "Stylarr Foxxxwanger" in a desperate attempt to be memorable at a screen test. Do you have asthma? Because it sounds like you do. Or perhaps emphysema. How can anybody "mix" clarity into that?

You're trying too hard for an idiosyncratic vocal style, in my opinion. It's like when wannabee actors in Hollywood call themselves something like "Stylarr Foxxxwanger" in a desperate attempt to be memorable at a screen test. Do you have asthma? Because it sounds like you do. Or perhaps emphysema. How can anybody "mix" clarity into that?

what is it that makes you think that? i don't think i have asthma or anything. i don't know what idiosyncratic means but when i sing i don't normally care about my breathing because i just edit it out, then the way i sing i just try to add a lot of emotion into it as if i'm acting. I've never taken singing lessons and people have complained about my breathing before tho... maybe some constructive advice? i know my singing has its issues, but I'm really trying to develop my own style. i believe i have zero natural singing ability but what i do to get my voice to sound the way i try really hard at, and in these later days i'm actually starting to like the sound of my recordings in the end.

P.S i actually have A LOT of trouble making a guitar track then singing over it, when i'm live my voice is smooth(in rythm) when i sing over a pre-recorded guitar i kinda struggle to breath and it makes my breathing feel awkward not being in control of the rythm of the guitar.

what is it that makes you think that? i don't think i have asthma or anything. i don't know what idiosyncratic means but when i sing i don't normally care about my breathing because i just edit it out, then the way i sing i just try to add a lot of emotion into it as if i'm acting. I've never taken singing lessons and people have complained about my breathing before tho... maybe some constructive advice? i know my singing has its issues, but I'm really trying to develop my own style. i believe i have zero natural singing ability but what i do to get my voice to sound the way i try really hard at, and in these later days i'm actually starting to like the sound of my recordings in the end.

P.S i actually have A LOT of trouble making a guitar track then singing over it, when i'm live my voice is smooth(in rythm) when i sing over a pre-recorded guitar i kinda struggle to breath and it makes my breathing feel awkward not being in control of the rythm of the guitar.

"Idiosyncratic" means unique to an individual. What I'm saying is, you are trying too hard to sing in a unique way. A way that is totally unnatural to you or anyone else, for that matter. I understand the need to try to make yourself stand out in this world of total public access, but when you sing in such a way nobody is going to make sense of your lyrics. You're deliberately doing the "breathy" thing, so stop trying to pull the wool over my eyes. :D

"Idiosyncratic" means unique to an individual. What I'm saying is, you are trying too hard to sing in a unique way. A way that is totally unnatural to you or anyone else, for that matter. I understand the need to try to make yourself stand out in this world of total public access, but when you sing in such a way nobody is going to make sense of your lyrics. You're deliberately doing the "breathy" thing, so stop trying to pull the wool over my eyes. :D

I am doing it on purpose in a way haha but at least when its live it has better rhythm and feeling. people do complain about the breathiness, but some people(friends, not producers) actually like the style. I'll probably post up some more songs to get advice on later this week, hopefully get some constructive comments. i just don't know how to bring out immense energy in my songs without singing the way i do, but i would accept advice on how to help the breathing... or on other ways to get energy and drive in my songs. maybe if you heard some of my other songs you could give better advice towards my vocals

The vocal sounds like an exaggeration of the wheezer voice in Teenage Dirtbag.
It does sound forced and the breathiness gets in the way.

The vocal sounds like an exaggeration of the wheezer voice in Teenage Dirtbag.
It does sound forced and the breathiness gets in the way.

Now that you guys pointed it out i think i know what your talking about. like when i let all my air out at the ends of certain words? the forced might be because I'm trying to sing over a guitar track i made separate and its hard and awkward for me, but the breathiness i might be able to fix if its what i think it is

Back