Please make me your little beeyatch.

tallman

Here's another one for anyone who cares to cut it up. Comments on the good and bad are welcome, but the bad are probably more useful.

JAKE, Here is the friggin mp3!

This one is more dark, and is probably only uplifting to the suicidal, so be forewarned.

I like this style of thing, and I think the vocals are fucking amazing. Big props there. Everything else seemed pretty muddy though, and it sounded like you were trying to go more atmospheric and weren't quite getting there. I think the weird bass tone was responsible for that. I'd say bring that down, and bring up the guitar and snare. FWIW...

The vocals were amazing, you can really sing. I am jealous :(

I think if you roll off some of the effects you will clear up some of the mud. The guitars without them sounded pretty damn good...

Ok, here goes.

Ok, sounds good.

Done.

Seriously, tons of effects on this. Kinda reminds me of a Deftones vibe but something...
That main guitar is a bit too mudy in the versey passages I think, it eats the surrounding frequencies. Is there a bass in this mix?

You sound kinda faggy repeating that line over and over but whatever. Songwise there's not much meat here and the vocal could be more central. It would be cool to hear more focus on the lyrical point, it seems like you are covering stuff up with effects rather than adding to the song with them.

That's my take, keep what you like leave the rest.

Thanks guys. I've done a remix that deals with some of the issues. I'll post it later if anyone wants to hear it. It also includes some better drum fills and minor production changes. Thanks.

Okay.. addressing the muddyness concern, and also some phasing issues that I noticed at the club, here is try #2.. Any comments:

is there anywhere i can hear more stuff with your singin?

like those toms, snare needs more crack, amazing song.

I'm on the Tallman album "Mechanism".. just the last track (beneath the killing floor). It's hard to find these days. Thanks.

I'll post some more stuff later. It's mostly very different. I'm just trying to find a new style, and practicing mixing right now, since I'll have to do my next album on a budget.

I am looking for musicians in Toronto.

Great song sounds a bit like Stabbing Westward.

Needs a bit more separation but otherwise it is great.

Here's my free snottyfaced critique...

I must say I'm not a big fan of this kind of music. That being said, I think you did a great job of mixing this - you're definately at the place in a mix where you're just a couple steps away from a winner. The levels are great, the drums sound like they're in a nice room, everything has a decent bit of space.

The super-effected guitar at the beginning is muddy, and it goes on to effect the whole mix, as well as killing the bass gtr. I think it would sound much nicer as more of a shimmer than a drone.

More gain on the heavier electric gtr might be nice, but it's probably too late to re-record. No biggie.

I can't think of any problems on the vox. Maybe roll a TINY bit of high end off the background vox to drop them back in the mix. Not sure what verb you're using, it sounds good, but not great. Have you tried SIR convulsion reverb? It's free and you can find tons of free impulses at noisevault.com

BASS GTR?? Where? I can feel it, but can't hear it. I'm guessing it sounds good, buried under the muddy gtr.

The drums are great, overall. The snare could use a healthy serving of crack. Kick's very solid and punchy, kudos. I like bigger, verbed out toms, but that's just my taste. The cymbals and hats are a little too washed out in either highs or verb, or too much verb highs. Mostly the hats need more "sizzle". Incidentally, that's Snoop's favorite way to cook.

The whole thing sounds really well recorded. Was this a basement job or did you do it in a studio? Anyways, good job and good luck...

PDXROX said:
Was this a basement job or did you do it in a studio? Anyways, good job and good luck...

Thanks for all of the critique. It's never too late to re-record, and I might take some of your suggestions regarding the "muddy" guitar. As much as I liked the tone individually, I'm having trouble getting it present in the mix without screwing everything else up.

In answer to your question, this is a basement hack. 3 hours from writing to mixing -- I spent a little extra time to do the re-mix half way down the thread, and add some cool drum fills. I suppose this doesn't have to be *incredible* cause it's just for recruiting musicians, and perhaps I'll continue to use it to book some shows.

I keep playing with the backup vocals. They sound good, but perhaps they're too present.

I have also been able to identify some of the specific problems in my monitoring environment, and that is helping me to produce better mixes.

Thanks for all of your advice.

QUESTION: A few people have suggested more crack on the snare. How would you go about accomplishing this? Re-record the snare? Remove reverb? Accentuate certain frequencies? Gate it? Compress it with a slow attack?

Oh also, regarding convulsion. I've really enjoyed playing with SIR, but I don't have the processor power to use it in a real mix. Heh.. I barely have the processor power to play with it. I usually have to overclock my machine for half an hour to do my final mixes. Thanks for the suggestion. When I upgrade, I'll consider trying it.

that'a kind of nice! the bass is a little too heavy. the guitar at the beginning sounds like it was conditioned to sit in the mix a certain way. so maybe remove some of the effects on the intro and make it sound good solo, then put the effects back on it when the mix kicks in. just an idea

tryptophan said:
that'a kind of nice! the bass is a little too heavy. the guitar at the beginning sounds like it was conditioned to sit in the mix a certain way. so maybe remove some of the effects on the intro and make it sound good solo, then put the effects back on it when the mix kicks in. just an idea

Thanks! Out of curiosity, did you listen to the first mix, or the one posted halfway down this thread?

Unfortunately, the effects on the first guitar come from the rig, although i can probably suck some of them out with EQing. I think the second mix will sit a bit better on your stereo

Here's the link:

Last edited:
Back