Please lend your ears to some Power Metal!

Docaroo

Hi guys,

This is the very first song I recorded myself - for my own band Ascension

We decided to record a demo DIY style after being fed up with all the terrible studios in the area churning out junk recordings - I think it's turned out great!

Soundclick: Ascension - Fortress

Equipment:

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Soloist
Boss GT8
H&K Vortex Half Stack
Shure SM57 for guitars
Presonus Firebox
Bass DI into Firebox
MXL V67 for vox
Drums = DFH
Tracked/Recorded/Mixed/Mastered in Cubase...

This is just a "beta" version of the final song I guess, we are adding synths and the mixing needs some work but I just wanted to shoot it out there and see what you guys thought! Thanks!

Sounds pretty good.

I love power metal.

Sounds REALLY good.

Then the vocals come in. They seem to take over the mix a little too much. Maybe add some more verb to them and blend them into the mix a little better.

Otherwise sounds good. I like the tune, too.

I love it dude!!! I am more into Death Metal but love Metal music in general and this is great. Have an Iron Maiden feel to it, at least to me.

Killer work!!!!!!

Thanks for the response guys, after more listening I agree - vocals need work to blend in more, will work on that asap!

What about the overall mix? Any other quibbles? I think the cymbals might be too loud and the bass drum needs some work (I tried something out and I think now that it hasn't worked so great!)...

Thanks for the feedback... if you like the song there's loads more on the way for the new demo!

www.ascensionband.co.uk :)

There was nothing else I heard but I'm on computer speakers here at work.

When are you guys touring US? :D I just saw Sonata Arctica and Edguy, but Dragonforce isn't coming to my state. :( Boooo.

love the song, but the drums need a little work. The snare and the kick drum should put up a little higher in the mix. They seem a lillte distant. over all great guitar, great vocals.

It's really just the vocals that seem a bit strange. You might try thinning them out a bit. Other than that, a bit of reverb and/or delay will help put the vocals into the mix.

Other than that, great job.

The vocals definately need to come down in the mix. Maybe add some reverb or a very slight delay to them. They are also very sibbilant but this might not be as apparent if they didn't jump out of the mix so much.

Kick and snare definately louder too.

yeah I hear a lot of sibilance in the vocals. And I also agree they are too up front. They sound dry too. I'd add reverb or delay. Cool song though. I havent listened to power metal in a while. What amps did you use btw for guitars?

all the comments are very much appreciated guys - I will be putting all those ideas into action this weekend to create a more final version!! Thanks again...

For the gutiars, see the first post! We just used my Boss GT-8 going into a H&K Vortex stack (for its super clean channel) and recorded with an SN57! nothing more than that :)

Well this is definitely one of those times where the 57 came to work wonders. I'm guessing you took a while to mic this up, because for a first mix this is incredible. Every once in a while the hi-hat sounds gated, Not the best Idea in my opinion. The gang vocals are a bit harsh in my opinion. Snare drum and kick could come up in the mix, I might also suggest adding super verb to the snare as a stylistic thing to cover up not only that dryish sound but also to give it that kind of Hammerfall type of snare. Its soo cheesy that its PERFECT. I won't get into vocal stuff as everyone else already has. However I will mention that at 4:19 the vocalists starts making large jumps in his range where he isn't quite hitting the notes he is attempting for. Anyone else hearing this? Overall great tune, and very impressive first mix.

Keep it up,

Ben

emergencyexit said:
However I will mention that at 4:19 the vocalists starts making large jumps in his range where he isn't quite hitting the notes he is attempting for. Anyone else hearing this?
I did hear this, but since the vocals are so dry and upfront, I couldn't decide if he is off key or just so out front that it sounds strange. With that kind of falsetto singing, it can't be that bare.

emergencyexit said:
Well this is definitely one of those times where the 57 came to work wonders. I'm guessing you took a while to mic this up, because for a first mix this is incredible.

Yep we sure did - it just takes some TLC to get the SM to shine - I guess we spend about 1 1/2 hours perfecting the mic placement on the amp and it was well worth it I think!

I also agree about verbing the snare - what kinda setting do you think would be best - i'd love to mimic the Hammerfall drum sound - love it!!!

Farview said:
I did hear this, but since the vocals are so dry and upfront, I couldn't decide if he is off key or just so out front that it sounds strange. With that kind of falsetto singing, it can't be that bare.

Unfortunately, we stupidly recorded this part at the end of the day when the singer was exhausted - it's not actually falsetto though, he can sing that in his normal range but as I said was very tired when we did it so I think we will end up re recording that part!

Thanks again for the input, it's a huge help!

Back