Please ID these mics from live shows

invisiblemute

I'm seeing less of the SM-58 in live performances which I am happy about because I've always hated the way they sound for vocals and these new black mics sound tons better (less muffled and nasal). And I'm seeing them replaced by all black mics with flattened ball ends (know what I mean?). What the heck are these things? In particular can anyone name the mic Coldplay used at the 2003 VMAs?

I didn't see the VMAs, but from the description, I think they're Sennheisers.

Are they flattened like this:
421.jpg

or flattened like this:
3057.gif

The top was a Senn 421U mkII, the second was an E835.

Speaking of Senns... i'm gonna' go make a thread about some.. :D

I've done TONS of live gigs, and I don't think an SM57 sound nasal or muffled at all!? :confused: It sounds pretty ok. Depending on the speakers, amps, the preamps, .... ofcourse. AND the mixer. AND the singer. If the singers don't have a clue on how to use the mic, and cup their hands around he ball, it WILL sound nasal and muffled. And trying to keep it from feeding back then will make it sound more nasal even... :rolleyes:

But in normal use... Nope. Doesn't sound nasal to me...

Roel, you're definitely right. Many really talented musicians I've seen have absolutely horrendous mic technique. Maybe they don't get out enough and see other bands or most likely it's hard to turn the tables on oneself. Many artists also like closing their eyes when singing and I'm guessing putting your lips on the ball ensures that you're singing into it.

These new mics I'm seeing sound good even when singers are swallowing the suckers. Not just a matter of nasal or muffled they just sound a lot less like someone has fucked up the EQ and more airy. Sure the PA has a lot to do with it but I've noticed I don't like the SM-58 even in the rare instances (these days) when it's paired with an expensive PA for a big name artist. I almost never see a 57 or 58 these days except occasionally in videos. I'm just guessing that the pros are starting to replace Old Faithful with newer mics that they think sound better.

It's definitely not a 421. Come to think of it I don't remember ever seeing a 421 in a live situation. Any of you see one out? It's shaped more like the E845 but it's definitely not it. I'm seeing mics that are blacker, with a thinner band around the ball and missing the writing down the barrel. I know I've seen the Neumann KSM105 on occasions but only on Toria Amos and maybe a few other times. My guess is leaning towards the Audio Technicas right now.

I've used the 421 live, but mostly for bass, never for vocals. It would be kinda strange too seeing a singer jump around with a 421 in his hands. :D

I really like Audio Technica mics, but if I worked for them, I wouldn't be bragging about Metalica using them recently considering their sound on the "St. Anger" cd. Good enough group in the past, but their recorded sound recently is awful.

Roel, you're French. You can't comment on nasal sound. :D ....
....Hey I'm only kidding. :)

I have noticed more and more Sennheiser mics being used in live venues, so it could be. What you described does sound like the e835, that's a very bright vocal mic. If it were greyer in color, I'd say it also could be an AKG, something like the old d690.

Rimshot said:
I really like Audio Technica mics, but if I worked for them, I wouldn't be bragging about Metalica ....

I also really like AT mics. I have 2 ATM41HE's, and I think they sound much better than 58's. They cost the exact same amount, and sound much more like a Beta58. I ABC'd a 58, a beta58, and the ATM41he. It sounded much better than the standard 58, and was almost as good as the beta. The beta had slightly more airy high end, but that could also be considered by some to be sharp if their voice was sharp to begin with... SM58's are definitely overated in some ways, as there ARE better sounding mics for the same price.

I didn't watch the VMAs so I can't comment on what they used there for leads, but Audio Technica has been sponsoring a lot of major music shows lately. I believe that they have been a sponsor for the Grammys for the last few years. Many of the mics used were AT mics.

I think they were the AT. Alot of artist are switching to ATs. But of course, at the vma's, Im sure the audio engineer used what he liked and kept conformity to make his job easier.

Uncle Roel said:
I've used the 421 live, but mostly for bass, never for vocals. It would be kinda strange too seeing a singer jump around with a 421 in his hands. :D

Yeah... i would LOVE to see Dryden from AAF use the 421. That'd be hilarious. :)

I just watched the VMA's on repeat and took a close look at the vocal mic used by "Coldplay"
and it apeared to be an AT5400 but I could have sworn that I saw an Audix logo, could it have been an Audix OM2?

Re KMS

invisiblemute said:
I've seen the Neumann KSM105 on occasions but only on Toria Amos and maybe a few other times.

KMS 105 and its other brothers are getting quite common. Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Standing in the Shadows of Motown, one of the Divas Las Vegas shows (wireless version there). The Divas show was all except the Dixie Bs they have a Shure Market thing. Speaking of which thats getting to be a big thing with groups now, getting gear to pimp and who knows what to flaunt.

I'm not saying the 105 is the only option. I use it here to put a performance type mic up for those that can not or will not work without one. Again each room, artist, and type music deserves its own mic. Some artists could sound good on a tin can and string while others will never sound good on anything in the best locker in the trade.

All the mics used at the VMA's, including the drum mics and handheld wirelesses were Audio Technicas as far as I could tell. The sound company probably has an endorsement deal or something.

I see a lot of the Audix mics being used on TV as well as the aforementioned AT's,Senn's, and Beta's.A lot of your bigname country artists are using the Audix OM5,OM6,and OM7's.For some reason, they always blackout the name on the mic.probably has to do with the sponser thing.They also have a handheld condenser with a flat screen on it..Again, the logo is blackened in in most cases.They are really fine mics BTW. You also can see quite a few ADK condensers on the live country broadcasts back on the drums and the guitar amps..Again...logo blacked out....

Rimshot said:
Roel, you're French. You can't comment on nasal sound. :D ....
....Hey I'm only kidding. :)
That's NOT TRUE! :rolleyes: Damn, I'm never gonna joke around with my location again to impress some girl that doesn't even know about the existence of this site. Not that it makes any sense to do that. :confused:

I live in Belgium. That's the capital of Brussels. :D

Roel,
I was only joking y'know.
I speak a bit of French (I spent quite a bit of time in Paris, and I've travelled to Belgium), the most difficult thing for me to learn was to pronounce the French nasal tones. Therefore my joke.

;)

Back