Please help

Croaks

Just bought a new microphone from Amazon (InnoGear® Studio Recording Condenser Microphone) along with Phantom power supply 48V. Hooked everything up and the playback sounds like crap. So muffled and sounds like something is shaking because it cuts off at random times. Is it the mic? A faulty wire? my computer mic jack? This was pretty expensive purchase for me, please help. Attached it an image of what a typical recording looks like with this microphone with regular talking.

Attachments

• shittymic.jpg
    shittymic.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 23
Just bought a new microphone from Amazon (InnoGear® Studio Recording Condenser Microphone) along with Phantom power supply 48V. Hooked everything up and the playback sounds like crap. So muffled and sounds like something is shaking because it cuts off at random times. Is it the mic? A faulty wire? my computer mic jack? This was pretty expensive purchase for me, please help. Attached it an image of what a typical recording looks like with this microphone with regular talking.

It's possible there's something wrong with the mic. It's also possible that you're singing into the wrong side of the mic too. I've done that myself.

It's too bad you didn't do some more research first. You're using the built-in A-D converter in your computer which is really not made for anything other than the 'beeps and boops' of computer sounds and maybe some voice-Skype type talking.
What are you trying to do - what software are you using? Sounds cutting out would be a buffer setting in the software.

BTW, at $50 total for mic and phantom power supply, you are at the absolute bottom of the barrel for this type of equipment - it may have been a lot of cash for you, but like everything: 'you get what you pay for'.

It's too bad you didn't do some more research first. You're using the built-in A-D converter in your computer which is really not made for anything other than the 'beeps and boops' of computer sounds and maybe some voice-Skype type talking.
What are you trying to do - what software are you using? Sounds cutting out would be a buffer setting in the software.

BTW, at $50 total for mic and phantom power supply, you are at the absolute bottom of the barrel for this type of equipment - it may have been a lot of cash for you, but like everything: 'you get what you pay for'.

I did a bit of research which basically told me that what I was getting was a good value for its price. Software I'm using is a program called Audacity, also I cross referenced the effect with an online, flash based, editor on Soundation.com. What would you recommend I use for interface instead of my computer?

Croaks, although the description on Amazon states the phantom power supply needs to be used, can you try the mic without just using the XLR to 1/8" cable between the mic and mic input on the computer and see what happens?
Amazon is good about returns and probably it would be best to do that for this purchase. What is it you're attempting to do with a mic? Podcast, singing, or something else?

Is that an ASUS PC you're using? I see the Realtek soundcard in the Audacity selections. You may have similar audio control panel as below that can affect what goes to Audacity. Lower the mic gain (recording volume) if you have this or similar. If this doesn't help look at other Windows settings related to recording and the mic.

Attachments

• asus sound.jpg
    asus sound.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 9
I did a bit of research which basically told me that what I was getting was a good value for its price. Software I'm using is a program called Audacity, also I cross referenced the effect with an online, flash based, editor on Soundation.com. What would you recommend I use for interface instead of my computer?

You need to do some reading - the sticky threads here in the Newbies section of the forum would be a good start. A dedicated audio interface will include a mic preamp, phantom power, ability to monitor previously recorded tracks while recording new ones, and better A/D converters. But you're going to need to extend your budget. Although there are some low budget condenser mics in the $70 range that are ok for their price - look at MXL for one suggestion, a suitable interface will be about $100 or more (the more you pay, the more mic preamps and simultaneously recorded tracks you get).

At that price point, I wouldn't expect it to be better than the built-in computer microphone. I think a low-end USB microphone like the Blue Snowball would be a far better solution. I've never heard of that company, and their Amazon presence appears to be as a vendor of flashlights, aromatherapy oil diffusers, and Bluetooth monopods.

Attachments

• mic.jpg
    mic.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 3
Croaks, although the description on Amazon states the phantom power supply needs to be used, can you try the mic without just using the XLR to 1/8" cable between the mic and mic input on the computer and see what happens?
Amazon is good about returns and probably it would be best to do that for this purchase. What is it you're attempting to do with a mic? Podcast, singing, or something else?

Is that an ASUS PC you're using? I see the Realtek soundcard in the Audacity selections. You may have similar audio control panel as below that can affect what goes to Audacity. Lower the mic gain (recording volume) if you have this or similar. If this doesn't help look at other Windows settings related to recording and the mic.

I actually have tried it straight from the mic to the computer and the sound quality doesn't change. Yeah I'm heavily considering returning this and checking out another alternative. Just need some clear and at least semi professional sounding recording for voice-over work. It is ASUS, I will try that, but it seems like something is broken when that wavy crap happens because it gets choppy and the mic is still. Thanks for being nice and helpful, and not being a total dick.

At that price point, I wouldn't expect it to be better than the built-in computer microphone. I think a low-end USB microphone like the Blue Snowball would be a far better solution. I've never heard of that company, and their Amazon presence appears to be as a vendor of flashlights, aromatherapy oil diffusers, and Bluetooth monopods.

Hmm I hadn't even checked. This one seems good. Any other alternatives?

These are both dynamic mics that may work better for not picking up as much room sound as a condenser and would likely be OK for some not too critical voice over type stuff. Dynamics are meant to be used fairly close, so keep that in mind.
Both can be used as an XLR connected mic if you should get an interface later. Youtube search for either mic will find a bunch of demos to give you an idea how it sounds.

I have this one I bought for a specific use with a laptop. It does sound OK.
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica AT2005USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone: Musical Instruments

Slightly cheaper version, supposedly much the same as the one above.....
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone: Musical Instruments

I somehow always come back to this as a good example of the ATR2100USB....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9yc1CN1fxE

These are both dynamic mics that may work better for not picking up as much room sound as a condenser and would likely be OK for some not too critical voice over type stuff. Dynamics are meant to be used fairly close, so keep that in mind.
Both can be used as an XLR connected mic if you should get an interface later. Youtube search for either mic will find a bunch of demos to give you an idea how it sounds.

I have this one I bought for a specific use with a laptop. It does sound OK.
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica AT2005USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone: Musical Instruments

Slightly cheaper version, supposedly much the same as the one above.....
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone: Musical Instruments

I somehow always come back to this as a good example of the ATR2100USB....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9yc1CN1fxE

Thank you, by far the most helpful person. Best of luck to you sir.

Back