please help with portable hardware options

Nicole_Rose

Great White North Girl
i may have an opportunity. in any case i will be creating a portable studio for "on sight" recordings. i need to know what some of the best portable hardware recording unit options are. good pre's, lot's of drive space, easy to use hopefully, or at least a quick learning curve. at minimum 8 mic inputs though i'd prefer 12, with at least 6 phantom powered xlr inputs. good visual interface visible under crappy conditions, like dark bars. and solid performance which means no equipment failure due to sound vibrations. if it needs a little shock mounting i can understand that, but to have to build a condensor mic type shock mount for hte rig would be ridiculous lol.

thanks a lot in advance :)

i may have an opportunity. in any case i will be creating a portable studio for "on sight" recordings. i need to know what some of the best portable hardware recording unit options are. good pre's, lot's of drive space, easy to use hopefully, or at least a quick learning curve. at minimum 8 mic inputs though i'd prefer 12, with at least 6 phantom powered xlr inputs. good visual interface visible under crappy conditions, like dark bars. and solid performance which means no equipment failure due to sound vibrations. if it needs a little shock mounting i can understand that, but to have to build a condensor mic type shock mount for hte rig would be ridiculous lol.

thanks a lot in advance :)

Only currently readily available 'prosumer' portable mutli tracker with 12 inputs ( 8 mic preamps, 4 line levels) I know of is the Korg D3200, phantom power, decent pres etc. Maybe $600-$700 used on ebay, around $1000 new.

Other 8 simultaneous input machines with phantom power: Zoom HD16, Yamaha AW1600....

There are others.

I have the Zoom HD16. It's phenomenal for working with live recordings in low lit areas cause it has a rather nice meterbridge. I like it but if I was starting again I'd go for the Korg D3200.

There is the new Zoom R16 which records to memory cards instead of hard drive but I think only 2 of the 8 mic inputs can supply phantom power.

If I had proper money I'd take an Alesis HD24 and a decent mixing board and build them into a portable rack unit. But that would be $2500+

Only currently readily available 'prosumer' portable mutli tracker with 12 inputs ( 8 mic preamps, 4 line levels) I know of is the Korg D3200, phantom power, decent pres etc. Maybe $600-$700 used on ebay, around $1000 new.

Other 8 simultaneous input machines with phantom power: Zoom HD16, Yamaha AW1600....

There are others.

I have the Zoom HD16. It's phenomenal for working with live recordings in low lit areas cause it has a rather nice meterbridge. I like it but if I was starting again I'd go for the Korg D3200.

There is the new Zoom R16 which records to memory cards instead of hard drive but I think only 2 of the 8 mic inputs can supply phantom power.

If I had proper money I'd take an Alesis HD24 and a decent mixing board and build them into a portable rack unit. But that would be $2500+

thanks a lot. i found the korg unit yesterday after making this post. it seems like a good job for what i need and for my technical skill level. the alesis, and also the tascam rackmountable unit are really good, but i'd need a mixer as well, and i'd really prefer the standalone unit. and i've been thinking that 8 ins simply isn't enough. i'd like 16, but the korg has 12 and that will work for most stuff i will want to do :)

do you have any experience with it, or do you know someone who has? the reviews are decent, but reviews can be faked.

thanks a lot. i found the korg unit yesterday after making this post. it seems like a good job for what i need and for my technical skill level. the alesis, and also the tascam rackmountable unit are really good, but i'd need a mixer as well, and i'd really prefer the standalone unit. and i've been thinking that 8 ins simply isn't enough. i'd like 16, but the korg has 12 and that will work for most stuff i will want to do :)

do you have any experience with it, or do you know someone who has? the reviews are decent, but reviews can be faked.

No personal experience but i do have serious gear lust for it. Lots of good reviews, seems like a well put together unit.

Good luck!

Back