Please help with my mix: Engagement Song

I doesn't seem like you are getting much response here. :(

PM me and I will give you an email address to send each individual wav tracks to me. I'm really busy but I can get you a mix that might help give some insight so that you can decide what works for you.

PM me and I will give you an email address to send each individual wav tracks to me. I'm really busy but I can get you a mix that might help give some insight so that you can decide what works for you.

Wow, that would be amazing. Will do that now. Really appreciate.

All the cool kids only check the forum once a day!

The big thing that's jumping out to me with this mix is that it's a touch dark. There's a lot of lowish mids happening, especially in the piano. A bit of EQ might brighten things up a bit.

Hey Alex, and everyone. New user here, so just thought I'd get involved and start offering round some feedback. Hope that's cool.

First of all - what a cool and brave thing to do, proposing with one of your own songs - nice!

In terms of thoughts on the mix - the guitar tones sound quite nice to me, but I wonder if you could thing about putting them a little wider in the mix? To me, it sounds like the main guitar part and the piano in the "verse" (for want of a better word) are stepping on each other a little. I also think the drums sound a little thin, maybe they could do with some tasteful reverb or something to beef them up a little.

Also - and I know this is more of a compositional point than a mixing one - but I wonder if the opening piano is a little somber? Agree with VomitHatSteve (what a name) re: the EQ here.

Look forward to hearing how it progresses!

Hey Alex, and everyone. New user here, so just thought I'd get involved and start offering round some feedback. Hope that's cool.

First of all - what a cool and brave thing to do, proposing with one of your own songs - nice!

In terms of thoughts on the mix - the guitar tones sound quite nice to me, but I wonder if you could thing about putting them a little wider in the mix? To me, it sounds like the main guitar part and the piano in the "verse" (for want of a better word) are stepping on each other a little. I also think the drums sound a little thin, maybe they could do with some tasteful reverb or something to beef them up a little.

Also - and I know this is more of a compositional point than a mixing one - but I wonder if the opening piano is a little somber? Agree with VomitHatSteve (what a name) re: the EQ here.

Look forward to hearing how it progresses!

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the constructive feedback, this is useful. I wil try to beef up the drums and spread out the guitars. I agree - things get muddied up in the verse. I just don't know where to put what instrument in the tonal spectrum. Maybe I do pan hard right and left the guitars...

Regarding the composition, yes - it's intended to be in a minor key at the beginning and to transition to a livelier chorus in a major key, glad it's working!

I'll work on this this weekend and keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

I'm hearing some timing issues with the guitars. Maybe the delay effect isn't sync'd to the tempo. Starting at around 00:40 and mostly with the guitar on the left channel. Something feels off.

I'm hearing some timing issues with the guitars. Maybe the delay effect isn't sync'd to the tempo. Starting at around 00:40 and mostly with the guitar on the left channel. Something feels off.

Yeah... I know, I hear it too. And I am glad you brought it up... what happened is the strumming guitar has both strumming and picking. The timing of the picking clashes with the dotted eigth note delay.... that will be tough to fix. Argh... May need to re-track or just cut out the arpeggios after the strums for that guitar.

Hi Alex. This is a great idea and all the best with the proposal if you haven’t done it yet. I know how nerve wracking it can be! Really like the guitars. Got a nice feel to it. I think something different is needed with the drums - you’ve mentioned that you’re planning to keep working on it so would love to hear what you add/change to the piece. Also unless I stopped listening too early, it did seem to end abruptly..perhaps work on a way to end it more gently..

Anyway, I’m a new member to the forum and it’s a pleasure to have listened to this piece.

Matt

That is a very pretty song. I liked it.

The piano sounds OK. But you can tell it's midi. Strings too.

The kick pattern gets a little busy in spots and gets distracting. The snare lacks a little power and it's a bit slappy.

The guitar on the left sounds nice.

Seems like some timing problems on the piano chords in spots.

No email yet Alex... What up? :)

Jimmy! I emailed you! Shoot me your email please, I'll send the wave files!

That is a very pretty song. I liked it.

The piano sounds OK. But you can tell it's midi. Strings too.

The kick pattern gets a little busy in spots and gets distracting. The snare lacks a little power and it's a bit slappy.

The guitar on the left sounds nice.

Seems like some timing problems on the piano chords in spots.

Thanks TripleM, you are 100% right, the piano and strings are MIDI... not sure how I get around that? I'll check on the timing issues... I'll quantize the piano a bit more.

Regarding the drums - I know, I can't seem to find a better sample for the drums. I'm using Addictive Drums 2, and compressing afterwards. Less compression for the snare?

Jimmy! I emailed you! Shoot me your email please, I'll send the wave files!

I didn't get an email man. Checked spam folder as well. Check your PM from me, double check the spelling of my email address. There are two 'l's in angellic. PM me your email address as well so we can make sure you are not blocked for some reason.

What sharing site are you using to send the individual wav files? WeTransfer is likely the best bet. Dropbox works but is a pain in the ass sometimes. For me anyway...

This is the first and most important issue. Any other mixing is just cleaning up around the bigger problem. Pitch is off in spots, the delay isn't synced appropriately, and the timing issues make everything worse. After those are fixed, I think it's just plain ol readjusting levels and panning.

Back