Please help with my first mix. Feedback needed

Isabella

Hey guys,

I am trying to make a cover of a blues song, a favorite of mine. This is my first mix.

I play the electric guitar and use a backing track found on the web.

But something doesn't sound right at all. I have not a lot of idea what it is exactly. I am new to all of this. Or maybe is it good?

Please take a listen here:

Any feedback/suggestions is apprecietd.

Thanks.

Hi miroslav. Is that distortion? I have the feeling that my guitar is "on top" of the music not "in" the music. If that makes any sens.

So it is too loud as well?

Seeing you're playing "on top" of a backing track, it's going to be a little difficult to get what you're doing seated properly in the mix as you don't have a lot of control over the backing.

You've got clipping happening - as I'm not listening on monitors I'm not sure if it's just a crap backing track or not, whether it's your guitar track, or whether it's the overall mix.

Clipping is digital distortion, when you're sending too much signal through and you get a harsh distorted noise - you should be able to hear it clearly enough, there's plenty of it.

I think there are two sections, first and third, where you're too loud in the mix, but at least it has the effect of drowning out the godawful backing... :D This also will have the effect of making your guitar playing sit on top.

You can remedy the loudness of the guitar track in these places simply by turning it down a little... whether this has anything to do with the clipping, I can't tell, as maybe the track was tracked too hot - if so, turning it down won't get rid of the clipping.

... and Gary Moore called... he wants his guitar back... :)

ok, thanks Armnistice. I will lower the first and third section and see if that is better :)

you think I play good? hihihi...I feel embarrased all of a sudden :o

Hi again everyone.

So I made a copy with adjusted volumes. Does this one make a better track?

Here is again the initial version:

Is v2 still too loud? or is it better?

Thanks.

I have the feeling that my guitar is "on top" of the music not "in" the music. If that makes any sens.
The backing track has heavy dynamic compression on the 2-buss. That means when a drum hits, everything else in the track momentarily jumps down in volume for the smallest instant. It glues it all together.

Since your guitar was not present when the backing track was made, it is "outside" of that 2-buss compression. So it is the only thing not ducking down when the drums hit. That makes it stand out as "different" or "on top".

Maybe some careful eq and expansion of the backing track would help and then a second dose of overall compression after your guitar is added in...but it will be tricky.

Thanks chipi. Does it sound really bad if say I want to give it to my friends?

Your friends will probably be most interested in the guitar playing, and that isn't bad at all. Go ahead and let 'em hear. Nothing about the backing track is overly distracting.

Back