Please Help - Too hot of an input signal with active bass

RighteousRhythm

Hello home recording forums! I'll cut to the chase ---

I own an Ibanez Btb 550 5 string bass (bartolini pickups/electronics) which has an 18v preamp.

I am a multi instrumentalist and am trying to record bass tracks.

I am running through Mac OS x 10.6.8, and a focusrite pro 40 firewire interface. My DAW of choice is Logic Pro although I also have access to Garageband, Ableton Live Lite, and Reaper.

My active bass is giving an overbearing signal and is sounding heavily distorted through the focusrite and my DAW. It sounds AWFUL! I've tried every input just in case to no avail. I opened up the electronics compartment and there is no gain fader in which I can turn down the gain db.

I do not own a DI box, and I was hoping I wouldn't have to dish out a couple hundred bucks after spending so much in recording equipment already. I do not own another bass at the moment.

Should I try to make my active bass passive by re-wiring the electronics? Is it a minor fix in my respective DAW? etc.?

I'd appreciate any possible knowledge, solutions, or troubleshooting advice you can give me. Thank you in advance. Any input is appreciated.

You could try turning the bass volume knob down until it stops overdriving the interface.

You could try turning the bass volume knob down until it stops overdriving the interface.

That is much cheaper. :)

Though, I have never found the tone to be as sweet with a pot turned down. Never had an issue with a bass to hot for my particular interface tho...

It looked like arcaxis' solution worked, the "pad" option for the line input lowers the bass signal just enough.

I really appreciate all the help, guys!

Time to get recording, I have a late start today (7:23 am)!

Turn down your bass and try to stop the overdrive at the source. Meanwhile, if you want to get GOOD recordings of your bass, buy a good DI. That's how the pros do it. I've successfully used this technique for many years.

Back