Please help my recording goal...

Tim888

I'm having a few problems & questions,

On a Win 7 PC I want to be able to record mic'd Electric guitar + vocals, live with a click-track, then export the tracks with click included to work with in Pro tools on another computer (Mac)

I have bought a Focusrite 2i4 + two mics and stands - and have an Ableton Live 9 trial + guitar and amp.

I'm not sure what to do next...

1. Do I have all the gear I need?

2. Do I need monitor speakers for my scarlett 2i4 or can i just use headphones?

3. Can Ableton record with a click-track then export to b used in Protools?

Please Help!

I think what you are trying to do is relatively simple.

1. I think you do have the necessary equipment, however being more specific with what mics you have could be more useful to answer the question. The vocals might be the only thing I would be worried about. If you are going to record them in an untreated room with a cheap mic then the quality might not be so great.

2. Not if you're not going to be doing any mixing in ableton. It seems you have a much more professional set up elsewhere so if you have decent monitors there and are only going to be recording where you are now then you shouldn't need monitors.

3. Ableton has a metronome which you can play whilst recording but to export a click track then I think you need to record a click track as well. I'm not exactly sure what you are planning on doing afterwards but I would just export the guitar and vocal tracks and then in pro tools make sure the metronome is set to the same tempo.

I'm no expert so I may be wrong in some way here but just trying to help.

1: Apart from the mics, it sounds like it.

2: If you're not doing any mixing here, monitors aren't really essential, I guess.
When you're recording you'll definitely want to have headphones on, otherwise the mics will pick up your click.

3: Yeah. I don't know ableton intimately, but I know it can multitrack.
Set your click to the desired tempo and record away.
When you export these wavs, export them individually. Each DAW is different, but in mine you'd solo one track, export, solo a different track, export etc.

Make sure the selected export region starts at 00:00:00 each time.

Now when you dump these in ProTools, all you have to do is create a click track at the chosen tempo, and all your tracks will line up nicely.
There's no point exporting the actual click track. ProTools will have one.

I won't discuss the quality, that is a different subject matter where you can post at another time. You should have everything you needed to get started.

This is just about how to transfer from one DAW (Ableton) to another (Protools). Really simple. In Ableton, set your BPMs and your click. In Arrangement View, record your tracks. When you are happy, render your tracks (read the Ableton manuals on how to do this) and you will get your recorded tracks(number of files equal number of exported tracks). Set the BPM in Protools to match what you did in Ableton, import your tracks (they should come in each in their own tracks). In Ableton, if you render the full tracks, it will start at 0, so getting them in the right place should not be a problem, just start them at the 0 mark in Pro.

Hope that gives you an idea. Once again, this is just to move tracks from one DAW to another. The quality of that is a different matter.

I've just seen your other post actually and the 57 and 58 can get you good results :)
I've recorded vocals in an untreated room and it can sound fine.
the only question now would be the quality of your guitar and amp but I'm guessing you're quite a good musician, most people are before they get into recording, so you will probably have decent equipment.

Thanks man,

I have a usa standard strat with lace sensor hot gold pickups and 52-11 gauge strings + a 1977 100 watt marshall :) The cabinet is a 2 speaker marshall cabinet that sounds ok too.

Thanks for all your help. I've learned quite a bit in the last 2 days!

Thanks man,

I have a usa standard strat with lace sensor hot gold pickups and 52-11 gauge strings + a 1977 100 watt marshall :) The cabinet is a 2 speaker marshall cabinet that sounds ok too.

Thanks for all your help. I've learned quite a bit in the last 2 days!

you'll be fine :)
let us know when you finish this project and post it in the forum

Back