Please help - my laptop won't pick up instruments through Behringer USB interface

Andysunshine

Hi there,

I'm trying to use a Behringer UMC22 USB interface to record instruments and vocals on a laptop (Windows 8) using Audacity software.

Audacity recognises the USB interface instantly and will record sound from a condenser microphone input through Mic/Line 1 on the USB interface perfectly. So that works fine.

However, if I plug a keyboard or guitar into the INST 2 socket, the USB interface picks up the signal, but my laptop isn't picking up any sound.

I've set the Control Panel sound settings to set the USB device as default for recording and playback. If I test sound input on the Control Panel, it again picks up the microphone sound but not the instrument sound. So I don't think it's Audacity causing the problem.

So basically my laptop is only hearing the microphone but not instruments through the USB interface.

Has anyone come across this before, or can anyone offer any tips please? Thank you!

Are you sure you have Audacity setup for stereo recording as shown?
There is an option to have mono!

If this does not sort it see if you can try the interface on another PC.

Dave.

Attachments

• audacity tracks.png
    audacity tracks.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 488
Hi Dave, thanks for replying. I've tried it on both mono and stereo on Audacity and neither work. I've also tried it on another laptop and had exactly the same problem - it all works perfectly for the mic input but not the instrument input.

Have you plugged some headphones into the Behringer to verify that you can hear the instrument before it goes to the laptop?

Hi, yes, the instruments all came through fine through headphones from the Behringer.

Changing the default format on the laptop's control panel from 1 to 2 channels seems to have fixed it! It's recording on Audacity now.

Thanks both for your help!

Last edited:
Hi, yes, the instruments all came through fine through headphones from the Behringer.

Changing the default format on the laptop's control panel from 1 to 2 channels seems to have fixed it! It's recording on Audacity now.

Thanks both for your help!

Oh! FFS Andy!
Anyhooosies! Now that you are stereofied perhaps you could post some recordings?
Behringer get a bit of a bad press most everywhere and I am sure there are plenty of budding recordists that would like to know if that interface is ok?

For my part I would never suggest any AI with only one mic input. I have no great beef against Behringer gear* and indeed have used it myself.

*That said I am pretty incandescent about the shameless ripoff of the Blackstar HT-5R head! The company have told me it has not come to UK yet and so there is nothing they can do.

Dave.

Back