Please help : mixing drums with ? to buy

Aly

Hi everyone,

not really a newbie to recording, but last time I recorded a whole band I had bought myself a Roland Virtual drum.. you known, the whole thing, with pads and kick drum etc..
I am a bassplayer myself, but I wanted to record our band in my living room, and therefore I bought this for the drummer.

It all worked out well, and few days later our drummer had bought one himself to play with at home, he was quite pleased with the quality of sound..

Anyway, here's the thing :

I am planning on recording a rock/metal band this time with a full real drum.. Roland TD?? was sold a year ago, and these guys want their own drum anyway..
So, for me the first time to take things serious..

I am wondering what mikes I should buy, and which mikes I can use that I allready got.
This is what I have allready :
- 2 Ego systems digital recording to hard disk (just to say I have 16 track recording direct to disk, so tracks are not the problem) equipped with 4 mic preamps
- 3 ART tube preamps
- 1 ADK A51 TC (tube cardioid mike, super on vocals)
- 1 Shure SM 58 (vocals, live)
- 1 Shure SM 57
- 1 AKG C 1000 S
- 1 Behringer C 1 (bought for 10 dollar)
- 2 behringer C 2 (same here, cheap buy)

I am willing to invest some money.. They pay me to record them, right ? So I was thinking, What good mikes can I buy for 250 $ ???
I am interested in a set of mikes, but maybe I don't need it ?

Please help out this newbie... I am alsow reading the other threads about drum miking here, but it is kinda specific, wouldn't you say ?

Thanks a zillion allready !

Aly

you need a

bigger budget.

LEARN TO TUNE DRUMS
and do it fast.

buy a decent kick mic (d112, b52, d6 etc....)
save the leftover 50$ to feed yourself.

use the 57 on snare,
the c2's as over heads.
new kick mic on the kick,
and hope that the drummer hits his toms hard enough so that you don't need tom mics.

possibly try the 1000 on snare too....

Thanks for your help...

I was wondering, these guys use a double bass drum.. I can use the SM57 on the second kick drum ?

Thanks !

Aly

Thanks for your help...

I was wondering, these guys use a double bass drum.. I can use the SM57 on the second kick drum ?

Thanks !

Aly

I'm no expert but it seems that an sm57 is not the way to go particularly if you're recording one kick with a dedicated kick-mic. You could record with the 57 and trigger a sample though.

I'm no expert but it seems that an sm57 is not the way to go particularly if you're recording one kick with a dedicated kick-mic. You could record with the 57 and trigger a sample though.

If you're going to be triggering you'd be better off using a shitty £5 computer mic, just to record the impedance. Don't risk a 57 on it - I don't think they're designed to handle that kind of SPL. I could be wrong though, so I'd wait for somebody more knowledgeable than me to either agree or correct me first.

No triggering

Nah, triggering doesn't do it for me... tried it on some expirimental drums earlier... You just don't get that "real" kick sound if, like in this case, I'll be using a dedicated 2nd kick drum mike.. Which I am planning to buy !

CAD had a set on ebay which sells for about 150 *, containing 4 snare/tommikes and a dedicated kick... I al interested in that one.. CAD isn't so bad I hear around here..

What I can do, for the double bass drum, is using only one kick drum, and set the double bass pedal on this kick... will get a slightly different sound... But then again, I ma not an engineer who does this kind of stuff all the time.. Maybe in the future I'll do another band.. maybe not.. Seems foolish to spend another 100 $ on a second kick mike if I'll never use it again..

Thanks for your advice so far.. much apreciated.

Aly

no issue using the 57 in a bass drum.....works just fine, with no damage.
Using 2 57's for double bass.....didn't do it for me, but a twin bass pedal on the one drum did!!!!

Don't risk a 57 on it - I don't think they're designed to handle that kind of SPL.

This works fine actually. Try taking a 57 and sticking it in a kickdrum. You might actually be surprised by how good it sounds. sm57 is pretty much one of the only mics that you can really use for ANYTHING and get a good sound.

57 will be fine in a kick, but the response bassically drops off at about 80hz.
not the worst thing that ever happened, but there will be no real bottom in your kick.

like was said above, get him to use a double pedal.
much less to worry about then 2 seperate kick drums, and you only need one mic.

This works fine actually. Try taking a 57 and sticking it in a kickdrum. You might actually be surprised by how good it sounds. sm57 is pretty much one of the only mics that you can really use for ANYTHING and get a good sound.

Fair enough, you learn something new every day. I'm still waiting for my 57 to show up (bloody slow ebayers...grr...). I can't wait to play with it though :D

But anyway...I've always liked the sound of the AKG D112 on bass. It's good if (like me) you want the click. Not so good if you don't, as I believe has already been said.

Thank you from preventing me buying bad stuff

Thabks guys, nearly had bought that CAD set of drummicrofoons.. CAD DMTP-7 or something... but I won't now, thanks..

And SM57 will be used thus in the kick drum.. and we try the double pedal on one kick drum.
and mike it with a dedicated, fit for the job bassdrum mike.. Surely a shure.

Anybody knows a good set of mikes to buy for drum ? may be second handed... i'm looking on ebay, but hey, so much stuff.. Nobody selling theirs ? I'm willing to go any direction from here.. just to get some good drum sounds..

Back