Please Help me

PG13

here's the thing I have all my Gear hooked up Mic, Mixer, Monitors, Etc it all runs into my PC > I have a Sound Proof Room to record in aswell. Now when Ever I record my Vocals u can hear them BUT there is a constant hiss/hum in the track I lowered the preamp on the Behringer Mixer still a hum I even turned the mic off disconnected it from the mixer and still the hiss/hum. I thought it was my cables so I went out and purchased brand SPANKING new ones STILL A HUM changed mics still hisses in the track. So i my producer came over picked up the Unit took it to his studio and he said the Mixer was fine i went over there the next day and heard a track someone record using my MIxers Pre and there was nO hum nor his but when Ever I use it there is a Hum does anyone know what i should do Should I purchase a seperate pre what should I do

i have a feeling it may be a bad earth perhaps from your power?
Or try what your doing, process of elimination.

PG13 said:
here's the thing I have all my Gear hooked up Mic, Mixer, Monitors, Etc it all runs into my PC > I have a Sound Proof Room to record in aswell. Now when Ever I record my Vocals u can hear them BUT there is a constant hiss/hum in the track I lowered the preamp on the Behringer Mixer still a hum I even turned the mic off disconnected it from the mixer and still the hiss/hum. I thought it was my cables so I went out and purchased brand SPANKING new ones STILL A HUM changed mics still hisses in the track. So i my producer came over picked up the Unit took it to his studio and he said the Mixer was fine i went over there the next day and heard a track someone record using my MIxers Pre and there was nO hum nor his but when Ever I use it there is a Hum does anyone know what i should do Should I purchase a seperate pre what should I do

There's the problem rite there!! Get rid of that Behringer mixer!

Go to the the "Equipment Forum" and see my post under
a thread titled "Dare I Mention Behringer"

Where do you have the power for all your gear plugged in at. I mean, is it all in the same power strip? It should be. If you have things plugged into different outlets around a room or worse still, in different rooms, you're setting up a ground loop.

Re: Re: Please Help me

MISTERQCUE said:

There's the problem rite there!! Get rid of that Behringer mixer!

Nah its not the Behringer Mixer i know this cuz my producer did a track on it and there was no hum nor hiss in the recording

Yes I have all my stuff on the Same power Strip in the same room

Re: Re: Please Help me

MISTERQCUE said:

Blaming the gear without being there is soooo lame.
It's like giving someone mixing advice without hearing the song first.

Keijo

A bad/missing earth ground or multiple paths to ground would explain the hum of course ... But ground loop problems don't generally cause hiss. Do you have effects inline? A lot of digital effects create 'surf', a grainy sort of hiss.

Spend a few bucks at Radio Shack and get an outlet tester. It will tell you if the outlet has a ground, if + and - are reversed, etc. Then, if indeed you are missing a ground, you can head back to radio shack and get a ground stake (the RS folks should be able to explain it's use - it's vey simple) or look into your house wiring to determine if there's a house ground, and if so, why it doesn't seem to make it to the outlet(s) you're using.

That's a place to start, anyway. ;)

will do We just grounded the outlet yesterday I will test my results out today hopefully it all works fine for me

We dont need no stinking ground! Use a ground lifter as a last resort. Just dont lick your mic while playing electric guitar.

Ok We grounded the shit both the Outlet and his power box and I record with Nuendo there is a Filter "Hiss/hum Reduction" works better now there isn't much of a hiss but its still there " a little" any other Suggestions here?

A ground loop will not give you "hiss", it will give you a nice 60 hz waveform though -- which you'll hear as a low hum....

The hiss would come from something else -- most likely poor gain structure. It is also very possible for any effects wired into auxiliaries are causing the hiss...

To track it down you have to mute all AUX's and channels, then 1 at a time, introduce a new element until you discover what causes the hiss to become apparent.

It could also be as simple as bad summing amps on the Behringer board - with 1 or 2 channels up, no problem, but as you introduce more channels into the main mix, you could be overloading the summing buss....

All are possiblities.........

Good luck,

Bruce

You don't "create" gain structure, you optimize your gain structure by maintaining headroom in all sections of your signal chain.

For example, you don't keep your keyboard output low, then crank the pre trims up to adjust your level -- this will quickly kill any headroom available in the input pres, introducing noise or the very least, or distortion (not the good kind) at worse.

Usually, the manual for your mixer will indicate appropriate ways to optimally set your levels. Every signal chain is different and will vary depending on the gear you connect to.

Bruce

Unplug everything but you mixer and what you need to monitor its output. If you have no hiss/hum start pluggiing in your outboard gear to the mixer and AC one at a time. There may be a problem with a piece of outboard equipment causing this? I am just thinking of what is different from your place and the producers place.

nwsoundman said:
Unplug everything but you mixer and what you need to monitor its output. If you have no hiss/hum start pluggiing in your outboard gear to the mixer and AC one at a time. There may be a problem with a piece of outboard equipment causing this? I am just thinking of what is different from your place and the producers place.

My Producers Place is A $40,000 professional Studio my place is about $2,000 I can't master for shit He can (Garey Kennebrew)
He has 20 years Experience I don't

God !!!

Come on now. It just takes common sense. When you board was at his place no prob. At yours prob. I am sure he did not have any or much outboard gear hooked up to it. Do you? If so you should try what I said. You have to try to compare apples to apples. Hook it up at home the same way he hooked it up at his studio.

By the way how did you ground your outlet? Is your ground and neutral bonded at the breaker box?

Price of studio is not a factor here.

Back