please help me with these issues in cooledit.

rane

hi, i have a new computer, and this has arisen many new problems in cooledit that i have not encountered with my last few computers.

teh first problem is: when i press record, teh INSTRUMENTAL is recorded along with my vocals??? why???

this also happened last night when i played a song in winamp by accident while recording, and it recorded the song playing!

(note: i do have headphones on, and i thought that maybe they were too loud. but i placed them far away and the instrumental still recorded. )

secondly: when i record, and just idle the mic, without saying anything, the wavelenghts seem to be at about -20 dB, which is horrible. they used to be at a decent -70 to -80 range.

why is this??

and lastly, again, when i record and idle my mic, the wavelenghts appear BELOW teh center line. this has never happened before. an individual suggested that perhaps my MIC BOOST option was on, but i checked it plenty of times and i can confidently say it is NOT on.

well.. thanks for the help in advance.

oh, and im working with an integrated soundcard from a dell computer, a cheap best buy XLR to 1/4" (or is it 1/8") cable, and, yeah.. i will be upgrading to an emu1820 and a mogami xlr cable, but despite my rahter cheap equipment, ive never had these problems before.

im actually debating whether the problem roots from my soundcard (even if the computer is new the soundcard may be cheaper than my former one, which my godfather built), and/or, my cheap mic cable. but i doubt its teh latter.

well thanks for the help, i tried posting this in other boards but no responses as of yet. i hope i get some form of help here :/

note: i have tried dobro's method in the sticky but the rpoblem with the instrumental recording into the second track still persists.

thanks

the reason your intrumental is getting recorded along with your 2nd track vocals or whatever is because the instrumental is not muted.. the only way you can record without having the insturmental pick up on your vocals is by not including the instrumental in the track record
or by muting the instrumental while you are perfoming your vocals

also one reason that you might be getting a lot of pickup on your mic while its in an idle position is because your mic volume might be up.. go to the volume controls in your comp and turn your mic down and see if that helps you.. also if you want to record your vocals while listening to your instrumental and not get too much pick up from your instrumental to vocals one thing you can do is go to the volume controls and lower the volume of the WAVE..

hope that helps you out im not really sure why your vocals would be off center.. maybe you have them panned that way

"the only way you can record without having the insturmental pick up on your vocals is by not including the instrumental in the track record
or by muting the instrumental while you are perfoming your vocals"

If he mutes the instrumental part, how's he gonna hear it so that he can sing along to it when he's recording the vocal?

I'm thinking that this problem, coupled with the other problem of the -20 dB noise floor, means it's a soundcard problem. -20 dB is completely unacceptable.

well yeah i know that.. im just saying thats the only way you can do it.. if he wanted he could listen to the instrumental on a cd player.. and then try to time it perfectly on when he hits the record button and the play button on cool edit so he can just lay the instrumental over the vocals when hes done singing.. rapping.. or whatever it is hes doing but that barely works

and yeah -20 db of background noise is a joke i would be going crazy if my audios picked up that much background hum noise

chills said:
well yeah i know that.. im just saying thats the only way you can do it.. if he wanted he could listen to the instrumental on a cd player.. and then try to time it perfectly on when he hits the record button and the play button on cool edit so he can just lay the instrumental over the vocals when hes done singing.. rapping.. or whatever it is hes doing but that barely works
What??? Dude, it's multitracking software. See, the beauty of multitracking software is that you can listen to as many tracks as you want (that's called "monitoring") while you record an isolated track (that's called "recording"). You put the 2 concepts together, you have multitrack recording.

Sorry to digress, rane...but some people probably don't need to be giving advice.

It's obviously a soundcard setting somewhere. If you ran through the sticky and you're still having the same problem, then I'd run a search in here for your topic because it has come up a hundred times, sometimes with unusual answers. The answer to your question is in this forum somewhere. I was just stopping by to be a smartass.

GOOD LUCK!!!

huh?

Sorry Chills, but you are incorrect on this one. I always listen to the drums, bass, and rhythm guitar tracks when I'm creating my lead track. It only records the lead as it's supposed to.

Of course, if you aren't using headphones and also using a MIC, you'll here the drums, etc. in the background of the lead track. If you are going direct with an electric guitar and pedal (as I do), the lead track will only contain the lead (even without headphones), no matter how loud you have the speakers cranked out. How could I play my lead guitar without hearing the song? :(

Something is out of whack here. I'm not sure what, but reinstalling the soundcard drivers usually is a good start. Hopefully the card isn't bad, but it may be.

Good luck. Let us know if you've come up with something.

Back