Please help me with my DMP3 and AT4040. (very detailed)

qb2k5

(Warning: very detailed)

I tried to hold off from making this topic but I couldnt take it anymore. Im so frustrated Im thinking about just going into a studio to finish up on my album.

The problem is that has been frustrating me is that all my vocals no matter what song I do always sound muffled and not in front of the mix without EQ. Its like if I have a my hand infront of my mouth while recording.

I bought this setup because most people reccommended that the at4040 is a workhorse and is perfect for rap vocals. I know it can sound clean, but I think my preamp is the problem. ive been reading how alot of people use very little EQ when doing vocals. I have to use alot of EQ in the highs so people can hear what Im saying. I upgraded this from my old MX602a and MXL1006 mic.

(Settings)

My room acoustics had been well-padded with 3inch triangle foam.

My chain is At4040-bal monster cable- Dmp3-bal monster cable-Delta 44- Protools LE- Delta44 out to Wharfedale 8.2.

I have my DMP3 gain knob set to 3 o'clock with Low cut 75hz cut switch. And my At4040 has the -10pad on, and the Low-cut switch on.

Heres some clip examples.

Song titled- "Hey Miss" ( popping sound is coming from the website, since these are new uploads)

1. No EQ, No reverb, No comp. Just flat. (Notice lack of highs.)
http://www.jamwave.com/streamhi.aspx?CID=11324

2. EQ (3.9 gain+ in 2890,and 8.1+ gain in 6974), No Reverb, comp
http://www.jamwave.com/streamhi.aspx?CID=11325

3. EQ (same as above), reverb, and comp.
http://www.jamwave.com/streamhi.aspx?CID=11326

4. My final mix
http://www.jamwave.com/streamhi.aspx?CID=11328

If anyone can take the time and give me a good set of settings for Waves REQ (something I could use all the time), than that would be much appricieciated.

Thanks alot HR

About 6inches. But if I go any further back from 13 inches the mic starts recording the room acoustics.

the clean sample sounds like what i'd expect out of a vocal track, maybe you're just used to hearing over hyped mics/mixes?

treymonfauntre said:
the clean sample sounds like what i'd expect out of a vocal track, maybe you're just used to hearing over hyped mics/mixes?

Yeah maybe your right. I could be over-exagerrating my problem. :)

That vocal sounds good, man. It sounds like a real human voice, which is what a good vocal mic should do. The kind of rap vocal sound you're trying to achieve isn't really supposed to sound natural... its supposed to sound really smooth and mechanical. You need to use EQ to achieve this... don't boost the highs so much, try cutting other frequencies. Just listening to this on my laptop speakers I'm going to say try cutting around 630-800 hz, this will take some of the 'honk' out of the sound. Maybe you could use just a little bump up around 5-8 khz to get some more top end in there, but not too much. I would compress this after doing the EQ cuts and boosts I just mentioned, so that really strong midrange doesn't affect the compressor. Compress it with a pretty fast attack and release.... like 5 ms attack, and like a 250 ms release. After that, insert another EQ plugin to eq it to taste after the appropriate compression. Just a suggestion...

I actually perfer the Q10 over the REQ, but I actually have a few questions.

How are you using PTLE with a Delta 44?

Also, have you tried recording without the -10db, and 2 low cuts?

Don't know if that'll make a big difference or not. I'm not able to listen to your examples right now but try turning off the -10db switch and back off the mic a little bit.. just a suggestion.

i would definitely follow what was stated above, and NOT use the -10db pad! that's there only to decrease the SPL that the mic is seeing in order to keep it from overloading...and i don't think your voice is anywhere near the 130+db's that it takes to overload most modern LDC's

edit: i listened to the clips, and they don't sound that bad...definitely not the ultra-glossy over-compressed type of shit you hear on the radio, but fuck sounding like that anyways

Turn one of the low cut switches off also. No reason to run two of them. It just runs your signal through more electronics you dont need to do.

Ok mark ill try out your suggestion.

mentalattica- Whoops I keep confusing PTLE with PT-M-Powered. I meant to say Im using PT-MPowered.

Thanks everyone Ill try out the suggestions.

the 4040 lacks some of that hi-mid bumb that a lot of vox condensers have.
don't be afaraid to do what you think is needed.
but..... make sure you're not making you're voice thin, road to hall being paved with good intensions and all.
i don;t see anything about compression in your post, don't be afaraid to compress a good bit.

superbeatballer said:
Just a guess.... but maybe all that three inch foam is absorbing some of the high end. :)
I've actually witnessed this! I had too much foam in my booth at one time. After i took a good bit out, it sounded a whole lot better.

You don't need the high end to sound good, in fact I really liked the version without any EQ. Maybe add a little 1-2dB or take out some of the low mids again 1-2dB, but really I was expecting to say something like do you have the mic pointed in the right direction before I listened to the clip, the way you made it sound like that was you problem. For the record, I listened on Wharfedale 8.2's if that means anything to you.

Q, I finally had a chance to check out your examples. The vocals actually sound good to me. The 4040 is not a hyped mic at all, I think it's pretty neutral that's probably all your hearing. I'd be happy with those vocal takes every time.

I would turn off the low cut on the DMP3 and the pad on the mic. Adjust the preamp gain accordingly. Only use the pad if you cannot keep from overloading the preamp with the gain at minimum.

I've seen alot of good talk about this mic lately. I'm gonna add this mic to my gear wish list!

tone_aot said:
Hey q, if you don't want that AT you can give it to me! :D

When I get my first record deal, Ill give it to u with an autograph. :D

Thanks again everyone. More suggestions are welcomed! ;)

actually having listened..........

i think your eq settings are ok, but less of the same thing, esp less of the 6k boost.

what sticks out to me is the way the vox sit, not because of the mic..... but because of the sound of your room later your choice of reverb, and the sounds you're using.

your voice just sounds more "real" than the backing tracks... i know, i know, this is obvious but you need to make them jell a little.

my suggestions:
try to dead your room more or record in a more dead room
possibly eq the backing tracks a little, or differently.
try something like re-amping the backing tracks, NOT to replace the backing tracks but to augment them with a not-quite-so straight from the box feel.
run a slight slight amount of your vox verb over the backing tracks too, with the aim of trying to put everything "in the same room"
but,
over all I’d say the problem is less with your vox, and more with the backing tracks.

good luck.

Back