Please help me find i mic for vocals! Please please please! ($100-150) Help me CHOOSE

Abnormalweeny

I own the blue snowball.I want to upgrade to something better of course.I was at first going to get another usb mic,but decided that wouldnt be much improvement.Ive looked everywhere i see so many condenser mics with xlr cable.I have NO IDEA what to get! SO many heres the ones ives been looking at but im not limited to these by any means!PLEASE HELP ME NARROW DOWN MY OPTIONS IM SO OVERWHELMED!

Mxl V67G
Mxl 990
Mxl 770
Audio technica atr2500
Audio technica AT2020
B1 From Berhinger
B2 From Berhinger
C3 From Berhinger
Samson C03U
Samson C01U
Samson C01
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm58
SHure Beta Sm58
AKG Perception 120

PLEASE HELP ME NARROW DOWN MY OPTIONS OR GIVE ME THE BEST ONE FROM PRIOR EXPERIENCE
Thanks!

Just pick one and go with it, bro.

You are overwhelmed because there are so many choices at that price point. The good news is that the differences between most of those mics are subtle enough that it takes pretty seasoned ears on good equipment in good rooms to even notice.
You do NEED to understand, however, that you have several different types of mics in that list. Most seem to be large diaphragm condensers, the Shures are dynamics, and I think the MXL 990 actually has a small diaphragm.
If it were my money I would ask myself this question first: Do I want this mic to be used on vocals only for recording or for live performances as well?
Only for recording: I'd narrow it down to MXL V67G, AT2020, Perception 120. Those are large/medium diaphragm condensers. That recommendation is based on what I've read here and there, and my own experience. I own the V67G, my voice sounds terrible with it (the problem is my voice, not the mic) but I have recorded other voices with it that sound just dandy. And it works pretty good on some instruments as well.
For live use and recording: Pick one of the Shures and life will be fine. My problematic voice that sounds terrible through the V67G, comes across as acceptable through a Beta 58.
I'm not telling you how to spend your money, just how I would spend my money. Like I said, at this price point you'll be hard pressed to distinguish major differences unless you have great ears and/or great equipment and/or a great room.

The Shure's you've listed are dynamics, can sound good but will give a different character than the condensers.

I'd be leery of the Samson mics. I had a CO1 and didn't like it. It had a shrill, harsh sound. It was the only one I tried, might have been a defect.

Any of the others on your list will probably work. I can tell you that the MXL990 you listed works with various sources. IMO it does amazingly well for the bargain price. A couple of examples of things recorded with a 990.

Last edited:
Back