Please help me choose a pre-amp for SP mics!

BrettMckinney

I'm using a cheap as chips Alto mixer for my pre's with a SP B1 mic. I would like to get a pre-amp as i hoping it'll give a much nicer sound. I'm happy with how it sounds, just i figure a mixer worth $165 aus cant have very good pre's so a stand alone preamp would HAVE to make the mic sound better.

I dont have much to spend..$500 aus is my limit. 1 Channel is enough..just want to get a nice sound. I will also be getting a C1 soon..i hope.

Behringer Ultragain Pro ($219) and Tube Ultragain are both good value in Australia ($429). Not sure if the Ultragain Pro is noticeably better than your mixer so you should audition it to compare.

SP VTB-1 is very overpriced in Aus compared to the US but is just within your budget ($459).

ARX e-Pre (an Aussie company) looks very interesting for $369. If anyone has heard this product I would be interested in your review.

All those products, prices and details available at http://www.musiclab.net.au/preamps.htm

Last edited:
Yeah i saw an ad for the Behringers...they look alright and talk the talk but do they walk the walk?

The VTB-1 is very expensive over here! Damn. I also heard that M-audio has a preamp DMP3 or something. I'm using there audiophile soundcard and its great. Musiclab dont have it though.

M-Audio is really expensive in Aus too unfortunately.

Do a search on the harmony central forums for more opinions on the behringer. A lot of guys there are happy with their ultragains. I think Dot from the listening sessions recommends the ultragain pro over the audio buddy. Still you had better do an audition against your mixer to see if you find much improvement.

You might want to get the ultragain pro and save up money to get a Sebatron 2 channel tube pre. Its made in melbourne and the 4 channel version has had a great review from Kurt Foster at recording.org. He did a pretty detailed review and loved it (and he has some pretty nice stuff to compare it to). I think it will cost about A$1500. The two channel version isnt on their site yet but I read he is currently making one for one of the regulars on harmony central and recording.org.

www.sebatron.com

http://www.recording.org/e-mag/article_90.shtml

'M-Audio is really expensive in Aus too unfortunately.' Isnt all the good stuff? They love making it hard for us :) WEll i'll keep on the hunt..its hard auditioning where i live but i might take a trip to melbourne for a day..see what i can find!

Yeah it sucks. Thats why I like to buy Aussie made stuff if possible. At least then it usually doesnt cost more than what is charged overseas (though it still happens) and sometimes amazingly it is even cheaper than the US. If the Rode NT1000 or NTK were available at my dealer when I got my SP C1, I probably would have bought one of them instead.

Sadly Behringer is about the only overseas company that charges fair prices (because they distribute their own products). SP is making an effort but some of their stuff still costs so much more than the US.

The thing is many of the recommendations made on these forums are based on value for money. If they knew what we in Aus were paying for some this stuff, I bet a lot of the advice would be different.

Yeah definately agree. I'm looking to get a C1 shortly, very happy with my B1...but they definately arent as affordable over here. But imported i doubt there would be much difference.

I am not saying the C1 hasnt been a good mic. Importing from overseas is good value. I just like to be able to audition stuff before I buy and support my dealer for letting me play with the stuff.

Anyway good luck with mic pre shopping. Hopefully others will give some good advice. Let me know if you get to try the ARX E-Pre. ARX seem to have a lot of experience in live sound and they are an Aussie company so it might be good value (it might also be crap).

http://www.arx.com.au/e-pre.htm

Last edited:
Back